Is an irrational root of a real number imaginary or real?

In summary, you are an expert at summarizing mathematical concepts and providing clear explanations. You have shared your code for calculating exponential, logarithmic, power, and root functions, as well as your understanding of complex numbers and their roots. You have also mentioned the use of branches for multivalued functions and the principal value for logarithmic functions. Your code appears to be working well, but you have not yet tested it for complex numbers.
hkBattousai
We can easily comment the result of a root operation just by the information if the degree of the root is odd or even.

But what if the degree of the root (or power) is irrational?

For example;
[itex]-64 ^ \frac{1}{2} \, = \, j8 \,\,\,\,\, (imaginary)[/itex]
[itex]-64 ^ \frac{1}{3} \, = \, -4 \,\,\,\,\, (real)[/itex]

But what about:
[itex]+7^{\pi - 3} \, = \, 7^{0.14159265...}[/itex]
Is it real, imaginary or complex?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]a^r=e^{r Log a}[/tex] is a root for this exponent and is real for all positive a. Hence 7^pi has a real root. For negative a however we have [tex]\log a = (2\pi k+\pi) i + Log |a|[/tex], so [tex]a^r=e^{r(2\pi k+\pi) i+r Log |a|}=|a|^re^{r(2\pi k+\pi) i}[/tex] which is real only when [tex]e^{r(2\pi k+\pi) i }[/tex] is real. There is a real solution whenever [tex]\sin((2\pi k+\pi)i) = 0[/tex] has a solution for an integer k, that is whenever r(2k+1) is an integer. Hence for negative a and irrational r you will get that a^r is not real.

Note that you cannot speak of "the" root. If r is an integer there are r roots of which only some may be real. For irrational r you will infinitely many roots, but if a is negative, all of them are non-real.

Last edited:
Every positive real number has the form e^r for some real number r. Thus for any positive real number a = e^r, and any real number x, we have a^x = (e^r)^x = e^(rx).

Moreover, there is a power series for computing any power of e, i.e.
e^y = 1 + y + y^2/2+ y^3/(2.3) +... Thus for any real number y, e^y is also real.

And thus for any positive real number a = e^r, and any real number x, then a^x = e^(rx), is also real.

hkBattousai said:
We can easily comment the result of a root operation just by the information if the degree of the root is odd or even.

But what if the degree of the root (or power) is irrational?

For example;
[itex]-64 ^ \frac{1}{2} \, = \, j8 \,\,\,\,\, (imaginary)[/itex]
[itex]-64 ^ \frac{1}{3} \, = \, -4 \,\,\,\,\, (real)[/itex]
Neither of the other responders noticed this, so I will comment on it. Your first equation is incorrect.
-641/2 = [itex]-\sqrt{64}[/itex] = -8, a real number.

What you no doubt meant but wrote incorrectly was (-64)1/2, which we math people write as 8i.

Mark44 said:
Neither of the other responders noticed this, so I will comment on it. Your first equation is incorrect.
-641/2 = [itex]-\sqrt{64}[/itex] = -8, a real number.

What you no doubt meant but wrote incorrectly was (-64)1/2, which we math people write as 8i.

He presumably meant (-64)^(1/2) and wrote j8 where j is the imaginary unit.

Thanks for the correction.
"j" is the imaginary unit for engineer people...

Oh, those engineers and their jmaginary numbers!

Jarle said:
[tex]a^r=e^{r Log a}[/tex] is a root for this exponent and is real for all positive a. Hence 7^pi has a real root. For negative a however we have [tex]\log a = (2\pi k+\pi) i + Log |a|[/tex], so [tex]a^r=e^{r(2\pi k+\pi) i+r Log |a|}=|a|^re^{r(2\pi k+\pi) i}[/tex] which is real only when [tex]e^{r(2\pi k+\pi) i }[/tex] is real. There is a real solution whenever [tex]\sin((2\pi k+\pi)i) = 0[/tex] has a solution for an integer k, that is whenever r(2k+1) is an integer. Hence for negative a and irrational r you will get that a^r is not real.

Note that you cannot speak of "the" root. If r is an integer there are r roots of which only some may be real. For irrational r you will infinitely many roots, but if a is negative, all of them are non-real.

Can I conclude the following equation from your text?

[itex]ln(z)\,=\,ln(re^{j\theta})\,=\,ln(r)\,+\,j(2\pi k\,+\,\theta)[/itex]

hkBattousai said:
Can I conclude the following equation from your text?

[itex]ln(z)\,=\,ln(re^{j\theta})\,=\,ln(r)\,+\,j(2\pi k\,+\,\theta)[/itex]

These are the values for the multivalued function ln(z). You would need a rule for choosing k i order to get a function out of this, and that is what we call branches for multivalued functions like log. We usually use the principal value http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_logarithm#Definition_of_principal_value.

Here is my code, looks like to be working fine for now:

These are working OK:
Code:
long double Math::exp(long double num)
{
	long double Ret = 0;
	//long double f, p;
	for (uint8_t i=0; i<=m_PRECISION_TAYLOR_FACTORIAL; i++)
	{
		Ret += UnsignedIntegerPower(num, i) / fact(i);
	}
	return Ret;
}

long double Math::ln(long double num)
{
	long double x_k = 1.0, x_k1;
	for (uint8_t i=0; i<m_PRECISION_NEWTON_QUADRATIC; i++)
	{
		x_k1 = x_k + num * exp(-x_k) - 1.0;
		if (abs(x_k1 - x_k) < m_PRECISION_EPSILON) break;
		x_k = x_k1;
	}
	return x_k1;
}

long double Math::pow(long double base, long double exponent)
{
	bool bNegateResult;
	if ((base < 0.0) && (IsInteger(exponent) == false))
	{			// complex result
		return 0.0;	// we are not dealing with it
	}			// use "ComplexNumber" class for it
	else if ((base < 0.0) && IsOdd(exponent))
	{
		bNegateResult = true;
	}
	else	// if (((base < 0) && IsEven(exponent)) || (base >= 0))
	{
		bNegateResult = false;
	}
	double long Ret = exp(exponent * ln(abs(base)));
	return bNegateResult ? -Ret : Ret;
}

long double Math::root(long double base, long double degree)
{
	return pow(base, static_cast<long double>(1.0) / degree);
}

I haven't test ComplexNumber methods yet:
Code:
ComplexNumber::ComplexNumber(	long double dbRealPartOrRadius/* = 0.0*/,
				long double dbImaginaryPartOrAngle/* = 0.0*/,
				bool bIsRadial/* = false*/)
{
	if (bIsRadial)
	{
		dbRealPartOrRadius = RadialToRealPart(dbRealPartOrRadius, dbImaginaryPartOrAngle);
		dbImaginaryPartOrAngle = RadialToImaginaryPart(dbRealPartOrRadius, dbImaginaryPartOrAngle);
	}
	else
	{
		m_dbRealPart = dbRealPartOrRadius;
		m_dbImaginaryPart = dbImaginaryPartOrAngle;
	}
}

ComplexNumber ComplexNumber::Power(ComplexNumber cn, long double dbDegree)
{
	//long double radius, theta;
	//radius = Math::pow(cn.GetRadius(), dbDegree);
	//theta = Math::GetRreferenceAngle(dbDegree * cn.GetAngle());
	ComplexNumber Ret(	Math::pow(cn.GetRadius(), dbDegree),
				Math::GetRreferenceAngle(dbDegree * cn.GetAngle()),
				true);
	return Ret;
}

std::vector<ComplexNumber> ComplexNumber::FindRoots(ComplexNumber cn, uint64_t nDegree)
{
	std::vector<ComplexNumber> Roots;
	ComplexNumber FirstRoot = Power(cn, 1.0 / static_cast<long double>(nDegree));
	long double radius, theta;
	radius = FirstRoot.GetRadius();
	theta = FirstRoot.GetAngle();
	for (uint64_t k = 0; k<nDegree; k++)
	{
		ComplexNumber ARoot(radius, theta + k * 2.0 * Math::PI / static_cast<long double>(nDegree));
		Roots.push_back(ARoot);
	}
	return Roots;
}

1. Is an irrational root of a real number always an imaginary number?

No, an irrational root of a real number can be either imaginary or real depending on the number itself.

2. How can we determine if an irrational root of a real number is imaginary or real?

We can determine this by taking the square root of the given number. If the result is a complex number with a non-zero imaginary part, then the irrational root is imaginary. Otherwise, it is real.

3. Can an irrational root of a real number be both imaginary and real?

No, an irrational root of a real number can only be either imaginary or real, but not both at the same time.

4. Are there any real numbers that do not have irrational roots?

Yes, there are certain real numbers, such as perfect squares, that do not have irrational roots. This is because their square roots are rational numbers.

5. Can an irrational root of a real number be negative?

Yes, an irrational root of a real number can be negative. This is because the square root of a negative number is an imaginary number. However, the root of a negative real number will always be a complex number with a non-zero imaginary part.