Special relativity Only Valid Under Handpicked Conditions?

In summary, the conversation involved a debate about the origin of the universe and the legitimacy of using Lawrence Krauss' lecture as evidence. One debater claimed that the relativity theory was still under dispute, but this was proven to be incorrect. The person who sent the Sharma pdf was deemed unreliable and it was suggested to use published papers in scientific journals as evidence instead.
yadayaba
Short version: How accurate is this paper: http://www.wbabin.net/ajay/sharma17.pdf

Long version:
Hello! Physics is not my field of study, but here's my situation: I was having a religious debate and we were discussing the origin of the universe. I decided to quote Lawrence Krauss (a physicist) from his lecture 'A Universe From Nothing' in which he said the total energy of the universe is zero and virtual particles emerge in nothingness from blending space and time. I wanted to show these were all indicators that the universe may have indeed came from nothing.

My opponent denied my statement so I sent him an excerpt of Lawrence's lecture showing these virtual particles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo&feature=player_detailpage#t=1251s
He still denied it on the basis that this is just a computational model. I replied Lawrence said they measured its weight to the tenth decimal place. He still denied it claiming this is just theoretical physics, and the statement it takes up 90% of our body weight is ridiculous.

At that point, another debater, who claimed to have a PHD in physics, said the relativity theory itself was still under dispute. He started lecturing me about photons and black holes and anti-matter. I could not understand him due to my limited knowledge, nor did I trust his information since he was my opponent. I requested him to stop, but then he sent me this file: http://www.wbabin.net/ajay/sharma17.pdf

I'm now curious if he was misleading me by exploiting my limited knowledge, or was he actually right. And in that case, does this disqualify Lawrence Krauss?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yadayaba said:
At that point, another debater, who claimed to have a PHD in physics, said the relativity theory itself was still under dispute.
This person is incorrect. Relativity has been confirmed by a large number of experiments. It is not speculative. For more information, see the sticky at the top of this forum titled "FAQ: Experimental Basis of Special Relativity."

Ajay Sharma is a kook. You could ask the person who sent the Sharma pdf to support his/her arguments using papers that have been published in refereed scientific journals.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a physical theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers, and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

Why is special relativity only valid under handpicked conditions?

Special relativity is only valid under certain conditions because it is a limited theory that does not take into account the effects of gravity. It only applies to objects moving at constant velocities in the absence of gravitational forces.

What are the handpicked conditions under which special relativity is valid?

Special relativity is valid under the conditions of constant velocities and no effects of gravity. This means that it applies to objects moving at a constant speed in a straight line, and does not account for the acceleration caused by gravitational forces.

Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to everyday situations that involve objects moving at high speeds. However, its effects are usually only noticeable at speeds approaching the speed of light, which is much faster than any everyday object moves.

What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including the GPS system, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. It also helps scientists understand the behavior of particles at high speeds and the structure of the universe.