Equation For Levitating Magnets?

• Thread starter SolidGold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, magnetism is concerned with the strength of a magnetic force and how it can be used to lift objects. If you are using electro-magnets, the force will be the same regardless of the amount of Gauss units. However, if you are using stationary magnets, the force will be stronger if the magnets are closer together.
SolidGold
Hello there,

I was wondering how much force can two opposing negative magnets hold. If you had two magnets levitating for example, how much weight would they hold up. So, I was wondering if there is some kind of equation for this with the strength of the magnets as the variable.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are using electro-magnets it might be slightly easier because you can simply work to current values.

More current = stronger magnetic field. So you can increase the lifting force by increasing the current through the coil and simply use current values to show the lifting force.

I'd recommend starting here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation

Perhaps under the lift section.

jarednjames said:
If you are using electro-magnets it might be slightly easier because you can simply work to current values.

More current = stronger magnetic field. So you can increase the lifting force by increasing the current through the coil and simply use current values to show the lifting force.

I'd recommend starting here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation

Perhaps under the lift section.

Whether it is electromagnet or not doesn't concern me because I am mainly concerned with the Gauss units and how many pounds of force 138000 Gauss units can hold for example. Unless an electromagnet with the same amount of Gauss units would have a different levitating force.

No, the force would be the same for stationary or eletro-magnet.

The wiki link gives some equations, but I was never good with magnetism so I can't be of much more help unfortunately.

You should get an acrylic 'tube' and two cylindrical magnets and drop them in there and see how much weight it takes to make them touch. If you know the strength of the magnets it would seem pretty easy to calculate. To me that seems easier and more accurate that an equation, though more expensive. I know that's not the answer you were looking for but what's wrong with some real life experimentation.

Last edited:

1. What is the equation for levitating magnets?

The equation for levitating magnets is given by the Lorentz force law, which states that the force (F) between two magnets is equal to the product of their magnetic field strengths (B) and their charges (q) divided by the square of the distance (r) between them, or F = (B1xB2xq1xq2)/(4πε0x(r^2)).

2. How does the equation for levitating magnets work?

The equation for levitating magnets works by describing the interaction between two magnets through their magnetic fields and charges. When two magnets with opposite poles face each other, their magnetic fields repel each other, creating a force that can overcome the force of gravity and levitate one magnet above the other.

3. What factors affect the strength of the levitating force?

The strength of the levitating force is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnets' magnetic fields, the distance between the magnets, and the charges of the magnets. Additionally, the type of material used for the magnets can also impact the strength of the levitating force.

4. Can the equation for levitating magnets be used for any type of magnet?

The equation for levitating magnets can be used for any type of magnet, as long as the magnets have opposite poles facing each other. However, the strength of the levitating force may vary depending on the type of magnet and its properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of the equation for levitating magnets?

The equation for levitating magnets has several real-world applications, such as maglev trains, which use magnetic levitation to move trains without direct contact with the tracks, reducing friction and increasing speed. It is also used in magnetic bearings for high-speed rotating machinery, as well as in levitating displays and levitating toys.