Is Phenyl Shift Better Than Methyl Shift in Carbocation Rearrangement?

• Thread starter NEILS BOHR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary, the phenyl group has more steric hindrance and therefore would not be as likely to undergo carbocation rearrangement in a situation where a methyl group and alkyl group are both present. This can effect the reaction rate.
NEILS BOHR
why is phenyl shift better than methyl shift?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You did everything possible to ask the question that is impossible to answer.

In what context? Better for what?

:rofl:

i mean whenever there's a possibility of the 2 happening , why is the former given more priority than the latter??

I'd say it's because a phenyl group has far more steric hindrance, so it'd be more "pressured" to shift.

NEILS BOHR said:
:rofl:

i mean whenever there's a possibility of the 2 happening , why is the former given more priority than the latter??

I wonder if you are aware that your question is still ambiguous.

He's asking about carbocation rearrangement. Why is the phenyl group more likely to undergo rearrangement than the methyl group when both groups are present?

In the transition state, the alkyl and the phenyl group are both bonded in a similar fashion to the carbocation center. The phenyl group does something special with that positive charge that the methyl group cannot do as easily. Think about it some more.

Likes Lori_jolly
Its still case dependent.

If the carbocation is adjacent to a carbon bearing an alkyl and phenyl group, then the alkyl group (or hydride or what have you) would shift to place the carbocation in the benzylic position. A phenyl shift, in this situation, would not result in the most stable carbocation.

I would like to see an example of what the OP had in mind. I'm sure there are examples of what is being said here, but I was taught the complete opposite (unless I'm misunderstanding something here).

Yanick said:
Its still case dependent.

If the carbocation is adjacent to a carbon bearing an alkyl and phenyl group, then the alkyl group (or hydride or what have you) would shift to place the carbocation in the benzylic position. A phenyl shift, in this situation, would not result in the most stable carbocation.

Is that true? The transition state is a three centered bond that contains a positive charge. What can happen with a cationic charge associated with a phenyl group that isn't possible with a methyl group?

chemisttree said:
Is that true? The transition state is a three centered bond that contains a positive charge. What can happen with a cationic charge associated with a phenyl group that isn't possible with a methyl group?

I'm pretty sure you're talking about resonance but I'm not sure why the phenyl would shift instead of a methyl or hydride thus not allowing for that resonance stabilization to be present.

What do you know about the stability of the transition state (and how that effects reaction rate) where the cation is further stabilized by resonance? How does a more stable transition state affect the Eact?

:approve:

actually our sir asked this question

and we explained all the things we could ( talking about carbocation rearrangement as well)

but he didnt look to be approved of what we had to say!:rolleyes:

1. What is a phenyl and methyl shift?

A phenyl and methyl shift is a type of reaction in organic chemistry where a phenyl (C6H5) group and a methyl (CH3) group are transferred between two molecules.

2. How does a phenyl and methyl shift occur?

A phenyl and methyl shift occurs through a process called electrophilic aromatic substitution. In this process, a phenyl or methyl group is transferred from one molecule to another through a series of intermediate steps.

3. What are the factors that influence a phenyl and methyl shift?

The factors that influence a phenyl and methyl shift include the stability of the intermediate carbocation, the strength of the electrophile, and the nature of the leaving group.

4. What are some common examples of phenyl and methyl shift reactions?

Some common examples of phenyl and methyl shift reactions include the Friedel-Crafts alkylation and acylation reactions, as well as the Beckmann rearrangement.

5. Why is understanding phenyl and methyl shift reactions important in organic chemistry?

Understanding phenyl and methyl shift reactions is important in organic chemistry because it helps predict the reactivity of different compounds and allows for the design and synthesis of new molecules with desired properties.