H20 Polar: Oxygen Electronegativity Causes Electron Disparity

• Thread starter LogicalAcid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the electronegativity of Oxygen is higher than that of H, thus the electrons tend to stay a little more on the oxygens electron orbitals, right? That's true, but that's not all true. Think about molecule shape. Just to expand on what Borek has said. Why is carbon dioxide not polar while water is polar (in terms of net dipole not polarity of individual bonds)? Because if oxygen has a much higher electronegativity than C, I don't know why.Remember that these are charges, and if we have two equal charges acting in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out. Why is H20 polar, and C02 not? CO2 is a
LogicalAcid
The electronegativity of Oxygen is higher than that of H, thus the electrons tend to stay a little more on the oxygens electron orbitals, right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's true, but that's not all true. Think about molecule shape.

Just to expand on what Borek has said.

Why is carbon dioxide not polar while water is polar (in terms of net dipole not polarity of individual bonds)?

Yanick said:
Just to expand on what Borek has said.

Why is carbon dioxide not polar while water is polar (in terms of net dipole not polarity of individual bonds)?

Hmmm, I do not know. Because if oxygen has a much higher electronegativity than C, I don't know why.

Remember that these are charges, and if we have two equal charges acting in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out.

Why is H20 polar, and C02 not?

I mean, if oxygen has a higher electronegativity than Hydrogen, I can see why H20 is a polar bonds, the electrons orbit around O a little more than the two H atoms. But why isn't C02 polar?

CO2 is a linear molecule; the two polar bonds point in opposite directions, and cancel each other out.

Since H20 is a bent molecule, the two polar bonds don't cancel each other.

EDIT:
Here's an image of a water molecule: the left side is more negative than the right side, resulting in an overall dipole moment for the molecule:

[URL]http://bioweb.wku.edu/courses/biol115/Wyatt/water1.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Redbelly98 said:
CO2 is a linear molecule; the two polar bonds point in opposite directions, and cancel each other out.

Since H20 is a bent molecule, the two polar bonds don't cancel each other.

EDIT:
Here's an image of a water molecule: the left side is more negative than the right side, resulting in an overall dipole moment for the molecule:

[URL]http://bioweb.wku.edu/courses/biol115/Wyatt/water1.gif
[/URL]

I see, just how like charges in a regular atom cancel each other out? Thank you for the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, thank you

LogicalAcid said:
I see, thank you

Just in case you only think you see - what is geometry of both molecules? CO2? H2O?

Borek said:
Just in case you only think you see - what is geometry of both molecules? CO2? H2O?

Well that is what I don't understand, if they are both covalent, what forces cause them to bond with the geometry they have e.g linear or bent bonds?

Do you own a General Chemistry text? I would suggest purchasing one, these are things that are pretty clearly explained in the text that I own.

As far as your current question:
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/vsepr/

Yanick said:
Do you own a General Chemistry text? I would suggest purchasing one, these are things that are pretty clearly explained in the text that I own.

As far as your current question:
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/vsepr/

My middle school doesn't have a library, and the library near me have few but I will check.

Wait, you go to middle school and you're trying to learn college level general chemistry?

Yanick said:
Wait, you go to middle school and you're trying to learn college level general chemistry?

Studying physics to, along with astrochemistry.

:eek:

1. What is H20 polar?

H20 polar refers to the polar nature of the water molecule, which means it has a slight positive charge on one end and a slight negative charge on the other end.

2. What is oxygen electronegativity?

Oxygen electronegativity is a measure of how strongly oxygen atoms attract electrons in a chemical bond. It is one of the highest electronegativities among all elements, which contributes to the polar nature of water.

3. What causes electron disparity in H20 molecules?

The difference in electronegativity between oxygen and hydrogen atoms in the water molecule is the main cause of electron disparity. Oxygen's high electronegativity pulls the shared electrons closer to itself, creating a slight negative charge on the oxygen atom and a slight positive charge on the hydrogen atoms.

4. How does the polar nature of H20 affect its properties?

The polarity of H20 affects its properties in many ways. For example, it allows water to dissolve polar substances, creates surface tension, and causes water molecules to stick together through hydrogen bonding. It also contributes to water's high boiling point and specific heat capacity.

5. Can H20 be nonpolar?

No, H20 cannot be nonpolar. The electronegativity difference between oxygen and hydrogen atoms in the water molecule is too great, resulting in a polar molecule. However, other molecules such as carbon dioxide can be nonpolar if the electronegativity difference between the atoms is small or if the molecule has a symmetrical shape.