Stationary state of two body wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses the ultimate goal of showing that the stationary state two body wave function can be written in a specific form. This involves separating variables and solving two separate equations, one for the center of mass and one for the relative position. The time dependent Schrodinger Equation must be used to introduce time into the equations.
Piano man
The ultimate goal of the problem is to show that the stationary state two body wave function can be written as
[tex] \Psi(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2},t)=e^{i\vec{P}\cdot\vec{R}/\hbar}\psi_E(\vec{r})e^{-i\left[\frac{P^2}{2M}+E\right]t/\hbar}[/tex]

So far, I have separated the variables in the time independent equation:

[tex] \Psi(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})=\Psi(\vec{R})\psi_E(\vec{r})[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{R}=[/tex]centre of mass
and [tex]\vec{r}=\vec{r_1}-\vec{r_2}[/tex]

and have the two equations
[tex] \frac{-\hbar^2}{2M}\nabla^2_R\Psi(\vec{R})=E_{com}\Psi(\vec{R})[/tex] and

[tex] \left[\frac{-\hbar^2}{2\mu}\nabla^2_r+V(\vec{r})\right]\psi_E(\vec{r})=E\psi_E(\vec{r})[/tex]
where [tex]M=m_1+m_2[/tex]
and [tex]\mu=[/tex]reduced mass

...So...what I think I have to do is write
[tex] \Psi(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2},t)=\Psi(\vec{R})\psi_E(\vec{r})\phi(t)[/tex]

and solve each equation separately, but I'm not sure how to get the answer in the first equation I wrote. For example, how do I introduce time?

Any suggestions would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start from the time dependent Schrodinger Equation, not the time independent equation.

What is the stationary state of a two body wave function?

The stationary state of a two body wave function is a quantum mechanical state in which the probability density of the two particles remains constant over time. This means that the position and momentum of the particles do not change, and the system is in a state of equilibrium.

How is the stationary state of a two body wave function calculated?

The stationary state of a two body wave function can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The equation involves solving for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian, which represents the total energy of the system.

What is the significance of the stationary state of a two body wave function?

The stationary state of a two body wave function is significant because it represents a stable state of the system, where the particles are in equilibrium. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the system, such as the probability of finding the particles in a particular position or energy state.

Can the stationary state of a two body wave function change?

No, the stationary state of a two body wave function cannot change as long as the system remains undisturbed. However, if an external force or interaction is applied to the system, the particles may transition to a different stationary state.

What is the difference between a stationary state and a non-stationary state of a two body wave function?

A stationary state of a two body wave function is a stable, unchanging state of the system, while a non-stationary state is one that is constantly evolving and changing over time. In a non-stationary state, the position and momentum of the particles are not constant and can vary over time.