What is the Corresponding Temperature on the Centigrade Scale?

In summary, a thermometer has its lower and upper fixed points marked as 10 and 80. When it reads 40, what is the corresponding temperature on Centrigrade scale?
zorro

Homework Statement

A thermometer has its lower and upper fixed points marked as 10 and 80. When it reads 40, what is the corresponding temperature on Centrigrade scale?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea of solving such type of questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can one answer if the 10 and 80 points on the mystery thermometer are not tied to some physical circumstance such as a a boiling point, or freezing point, or some other thing with a definite temperature benchmark?

I think by upper and lower fixed points it means the b.p and f.p. respectively.

Hi Abdul! :wink:

So 0°C is 10 and 100°C is 80 …

so what do you think 40 is ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Abdul! :wink:

So 0°C is 10 and 100°C is 80 …

so what do you think 40 is ? :smile:

What if it happens to be a limited range Fahrenheit thermometer? :devil:

gneill said:
What if it happens to be a limited range Fahrenheit thermometer? :devil:

i've no idea what you're talking about :redface:

have you got a temperature? o:)

I thought about this problem and came up with some idea-
A temperature difference of 70 on new scale corresponds to a temperature difference of 100 C. So 1 unit of new scale corresponds to 100/70 C
40 units correspond to 57.14C.

Is it right?

Abdul Quadeer said:
A temperature difference of 70 on new scale corresponds to a temperature difference of 100 C. So 1 unit of new scale corresponds to 100/70 C

Is it right?

How do you know that the temperature difference of 70 on the mystery scale corresponds to a temperature difference of 100 on the Celsius scale? You have no information on how the mystery thermometer is calibrated. What if it reads in degrees K? Or in 100's of degrees K?

I have a bath thermometer that starts at 20 and ends at 40. 20 doesn't mean freezing, and 40 doesn't mean boiling, these are just Celsius degrees.

Either there is some additional context to the question, or there is no answer.

Abdul Quadeer said:

Is it right?

No. 0°C is 10 and 100°C is 80, and 40 is how many sevenths from 10 to 80?

Borek said:
I have a bath thermometer that starts at 20 and ends at 40. 20 doesn't mean freezing, and 40 doesn't mean boiling, these are just Celsius degrees.

Either there is some additional context to the question, or there is no answer.

May be there is some terminology of upper and lower fixed points in thermometry, like they might mean b.p. and f.p. resp. If you still think the question is unclear let's assume so :wink:

tiny-tim said:
and 40 is how many sevenths from 10 to 80?

I don't understand that sentence. Can you elaborate (perhaps by giving an example)?

1. What are the most commonly used temperature units?

The most commonly used temperature units are Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin. Celsius is used in most countries for everyday temperature measurements, while Fahrenheit is commonly used in the United States. Kelvin is used in scientific and engineering applications.

2. How do I convert between Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit, use the formula: F = (9/5)C + 32. To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, use the formula: C = (5/9)(F - 32). To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature.

3. What is absolute zero and how is it related to temperature units?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which all molecular motion stops. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin, or -273.15 Celsius. This temperature is important in temperature unit conversion because it serves as the reference point for converting between Celsius and Kelvin.

4. Why do we have different temperature units?

Different temperature units were developed over time by different cultures and scientists. Celsius was created by Anders Celsius in 1742, Fahrenheit by Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit in 1724, and Kelvin by William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) in 1848. Each unit has its own advantages and uses, and they continue to be used in different contexts today.

5. What are the benefits of using the Kelvin temperature scale?

The Kelvin scale is often used in scientific and engineering applications because it is an absolute temperature scale, meaning it starts at absolute zero. This makes it useful for calculations involving gases and other materials at extreme temperatures. Additionally, the increments on the Kelvin scale are the same size as those on the Celsius scale, making conversions between the two units relatively simple.