Synthesis of polymers containing biarenes

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a coordination compound that is also a polymer by using a biarene ligand. This compound would involve a bond between a metal's d orbital and the pi molecular orbital of the benzene ring, and would result in a helix-like structure. The idea is considered feasible but may be difficult to execute.
chem1234
I am a high school chemistry AP student. In class, my teacher told us about how benzene's delocalized ∏ electrons can donate to a metal but it is not a strong bond. I wanted to know if it was possible to make a coordination compound that was also a polymer by using a biarene ligand, one end would attach to the metal, the other end to another, and so on. I also was curious as to the specifics of how benzene donates the e-s.
Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The types of compounds you are talking about are called metallocenes, or "sandwich compounds." The most well described one is Ferrocene. They're the result of a bond between one of the metal's d orbitals and the pi molecular orbital of the benzene ring (or other aromatic compound), which is situated above and below the plane of the ring.

I think I see what you're proposing: are you thinking of using a compound such as biphenyl, which has two aromatic rings that are not in conjugation with each other? Then there would be a metallocene bond to each ring by separate metals, and to the other side of the metal would be a ring from another biphenyl molecule, arranged such that the chain could be extended.. something like [Fe-(biphenyl)-Fe-(biphenyl)-Fe-(biphenyl)]n ?

Sounds reasonable in that I can't immediately think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Actually doing it sounds tricky, though. It would probably make a groovy helix as it stretches out. Your AP Chem teacher sounds awesome.

Last edited:

1. What are biarenes?

Biarenes are molecules that contain two benzene rings connected by a single bond. They are often used as building blocks in the synthesis of polymers due to their unique structural and chemical properties.

2. What is the purpose of synthesizing polymers containing biarenes?

The synthesis of polymers containing biarenes allows for the creation of materials with specific properties, such as high thermal stability, mechanical strength, and chemical resistance. These materials have a wide range of potential applications in industries such as electronics, coatings, and adhesives.

3. What methods are commonly used for the synthesis of polymers containing biarenes?

The most commonly used method for synthesizing polymers containing biarenes is the Diels-Alder reaction, which involves the reaction of a diene and a dienophile to form a cyclohexene ring. Other methods include transition metal-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions and polymerization reactions.

4. What are the challenges in the synthesis of polymers containing biarenes?

One of the main challenges in the synthesis of polymers containing biarenes is achieving high yields and selectivity, as the reaction conditions must be carefully controlled to avoid unwanted side reactions. Additionally, the synthesis of polymers with specific properties may require the use of expensive or difficult-to-obtain starting materials.

5. Are there any current research developments in the synthesis of polymers containing biarenes?

Yes, there is ongoing research in the development of new methods and catalysts for the synthesis of polymers containing biarenes, as well as the exploration of new applications for these materials. Additionally, there is a focus on finding more sustainable and environmentally-friendly methods for their synthesis.