[Cosmology] Red Shift Problem

That way you can get terms in the derivative of a(t) in there. The time derivative of a(t) is of course \dot{a}(t).In summary, the formula for the rate of change of redshift with respect to time as given by \frac{dz}{dt_{o}}=(1+z)H_{o}-H(z). To derive this, one can use the Friedmann equation and the fundamental relationship z(t)=\frac{a(t_{0})}{a(t)}-1. The Hubble parameter, H(t), is defined as \frac{\dot{a}(t)}{a(t)}, and the derivative of a(t) can be obtained by looking at the proper time interval
ajclarke

Homework Statement

The redshift of a galaxy is measured at the present epoch t0 and again at the infnitesimal future epoch t0 + δt0. Show that the rate of change of z with t0 is given by

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt_{o}}=(1+z)H_{o}-H(z)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Hint - Start From:

[tex]\frac{\delta z}{\delta t_{o}}=\frac{\delta z}{\delta t_{o}}+\frac{\delta z}{\delta t}\frac{dt}{dt_{o}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Haven't a clue tbh. Don't even know where to begin :/

Physics news on Phys.org
How does redshift depend on the expansion parameter?

[PLAIN]http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8478/screenshot20110130at114.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the Friedmann equation, written in terms of the redshift using the fundamental relationship

[tex]z(t) = \frac{a(t_0)}{a(t)} -1.[/tex]

This is the formula you need to derive the relationship in your OP.

I think I'm being dense here

[tex]z(t)=\frac{a(t_{0})}{a(t)}-1= \frac{H_{o}}{H(z)}-1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\delta z}{\delta t_{o}}= \frac{\delta}{\delta t_{o}}(\frac{H_{o}}{H(z)}-1)[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta t}= \frac{\delta}{\delta t}(\frac{H_{o}}{H(z)}-1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dt}{dt_{o}}[/tex]

However there is no time involved in them. Ho and H(t) are just constants. I understand the principle that they are specific to time but I don't understand how to perform the differentiation to get the answer

Last edited:
The Hubble parameter is

[tex]H(t) = \frac{\dot{a}(t)}{a(t)},[/tex]

so the RHS of your 1st line is incorrect. In your problem the time derivatives act on the scale factors. You only rewrite it in terms of [tex]H(z)[/tex] as a last step.

That terminology has confused me somewhat. The [tex]\dot{a}[/tex] is the scale factor at some unknown time and a alone is the scale factor at the present epoch?

Or the other way around?

I'll have a tinker. I still feel a bit lost. Maybe writing some stuff down will help me out some

Thanks =]

No, the dot means derivative. So

[tex] \dot{a}(t) = \frac{da(t)}{dt},[/tex]

while

[tex] \dot{a}(t_0) = \frac{da(t_0)}{dt_0}.[/tex]

So far I have:

[tex]z(t)=\frac{a(t_{o})}{a(t)}-1 = \frac{1}{a(t)}-1[/tex]

Since a(to)=1 by definition,

Thus:

[tex]\frac{\delta z}{\delta t_{o}} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\delta z}{\delta t}=-a(t)^-2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dt}{dt_{o}} [/tex]

And now I am at another brick wall.

ajclarke said:
So far I have:

[tex]z(t)=\frac{a(t_{o})}{a(t)}-1 = \frac{1}{a(t)}-1[/tex]

Since a(to)=1 by definition,

You shouldn't try to set [tex]a(t_0)=1[/tex] when you're going to be varying things with respect to [tex]t_0[/tex].

Thus:

[tex]\frac{\delta z}{\delta t_{o}} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\delta z}{\delta t}=-a(t)^-2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dt}{dt_{o}} [/tex]

And now I am at another brick wall.

To compute [tex]dt/dt_0[/tex] you might go back to the derivation of the redshift formula to see how the proper time interval depends on the scale factor.

1. What is the Red Shift Problem?

The Red Shift Problem refers to the observation that most distant galaxies appear to be moving away from us at an increasing speed. This is evidenced by the red shift of their light, which indicates that the wavelengths of the light are stretched and shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This phenomenon is a key piece of evidence for the expanding universe and the Big Bang theory.

2. What causes the Red Shift?

The Red Shift is caused by the expansion of the universe. As space itself expands, it stretches the wavelengths of light, causing them to appear more red. This is known as the Doppler Effect, and it is similar to the way sound waves appear to change pitch when a source is moving towards or away from an observer.

3. How is the Red Shift measured?

The Red Shift is typically measured using a spectrograph, which splits the light from an object into its component wavelengths. The resulting spectrum shows characteristic patterns or lines for different elements. By comparing the position of these lines to their expected positions, scientists can determine the amount of red shift and calculate the object's velocity.

4. What does the Red Shift tell us about the universe?

The Red Shift tells us that the universe is expanding, and that the further away an object is, the faster it is moving away from us. This supports the idea of an expanding universe and the Big Bang theory, which suggests that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since.

5. Are there any other explanations for the Red Shift besides an expanding universe?

There have been alternative explanations proposed for the Red Shift, such as tired light theory, which suggests that light loses energy as it travels through space, causing its wavelength to stretch. However, these theories have not been supported by observational evidence and the majority of scientists accept the expanding universe as the most plausible explanation for the Red Shift.