Find angular accleration to find torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque for a motor powering a wheel. The speed of the motor is known and the formula T=I*\alpha can be used to calculate the torque. However, there is confusion on how to find the angular acceleration, which is represented by alpha. It is mentioned that if the angular speed is constant, the angular acceleration is zero. The relevant equation for calculating torque balances the torque in and out, and does not heavily involve the moment of inertia.
pully89
Ok, I have a a motor, so I know the speed in rev/s. The motor is going to power a wheel, so I have a second moment of area?, (I), and I want to calculate the torque. I know I can do this by using T=I*[tex]\alpha[/tex]. The speed of the motor is 2500 revolutions per second. So [tex]\omega[/tex] is 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f, which is 261.8 radians per second, but from here I am confused on how to work out the angular acceleration, although I think that [tex]\alpha[/tex]=[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t, but I'm still not sure how to get alpha, can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi pully89! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a delta: ∆ and a pi: π and a tau: τ and an omega: ω :wink:)

if ω (angular speed) is constant, then α (angular acceleration) is zero

the relevant equation balances the torque in with the torque out, and really has almost nothing to do with I (the mass moment of area, or moment of inertia) :wink:

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2) in the SI unit system.

How is angular acceleration related to torque?

Angular acceleration and torque are related through the equation τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration. This means that torque is directly proportional to angular acceleration, with the constant of proportionality being the moment of inertia.

How do you find angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be found by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation α = Δω/Δt, where α is angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

What is the unit of measurement for angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2) in the SI unit system. However, it can also be measured in degrees per second squared (deg/s^2) in other unit systems.

How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear velocity changes. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2), while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).