Extremely easy chemistry question

• Thread starter td21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the periodic table only represents the sodium ion, not the sodium atom. This is because the only "atom" on the periodic table is the inert gas in the last column, and all others are ions. However, you can find metallic sodium in the world, although it is rare because it is very reactive. The symbol <Na> on the periodic table represents an atom of sodium as a chemical element.
td21
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In the world can we find a sodium atom(not the sodium ion as in salt)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No, the periodic table represents the sodium ion (With 1 more proton than electron). So that means we have to combine it with some "negative" ion to "see" a sodium.

I also doubt that the periodic table represents an ion or an atom. I believe so because the only "atom"(full shell) is the inert gas(the last column). Others are all ions.
(But if it is wrong, the attempt of the solution would also be wrong.)Sorry for the stupid question. I haven't taken any chem class in high school and now i am self-studying.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would something really reactive exist unreacted in nature?

if sodium cannot exist in the world, why do we say "sodium atom lose 1 electron to become sodium ion"?

You can find sodium metal, I believe... but I'm not sure if that answers your question. Can we find it in nature?

Sodium is very reactive, just like potassium and cessium. That should strongly give you a hint on the answer and the argumentation for it.

As for the periodic table, the symbol <Na> represents an atom of sodium as a chemical element. It has 11 proton and electrons and 12 neutrons (the most common isotope).

Of course we can find metallic sodium in the world. I've seen it in chemistry labs with my own eyes!

of course we can, and amok is correct. It is however somewhat rare.

1. What is an "extremely easy chemistry question"?

An "extremely easy chemistry question" is a question that is simple and straightforward, often requiring basic knowledge of chemistry concepts and principles.

2. Can you give an example of an extremely easy chemistry question?

One example of an extremely easy chemistry question is "What is the chemical symbol for gold?" The answer is "Au".

3. Why are there extremely easy chemistry questions?

There are extremely easy chemistry questions because they serve as a way to assess one's understanding of basic chemistry concepts and principles. They also provide a foundation for more complex questions and experiments.

4. Is it important to know the answers to extremely easy chemistry questions?

Yes, it is important to know the answers to extremely easy chemistry questions as they form the building blocks of more complex concepts and experiments in chemistry. They also help in understanding everyday phenomena and making informed decisions.

5. How can I prepare for extremely easy chemistry questions?

To prepare for extremely easy chemistry questions, it is important to have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of chemistry. Reviewing notes and practicing with basic chemistry problems can also be helpful.