Applications Of differential Equations In Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an article about the applications of differential equations in physics. The speakers mention that differential equations are used in various fields of physics, such as fluid mechanics, elasticity theory, general relativity, and quantum mechanics. They also mention that most differential equations are derived for physics to model physical systems. One speaker suggests a website that provides some information on modeling with differential equations, but the other speaker is looking for more detailed texts on the topic.
Majid
hi
i need a article about applications of differential equations in physics.
can some body help me ? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
any diff eq. book would do...

i mean, diff. eqs (pdes and odes) are all over physics, so pretty much all teoreticall physics articles will have an embedded DE on them

sorry for bad english

I second ReyChquito in this.
Examples:
1. Fluid mechanics: Navier-Stokes, Laplace's equation are diff.eq's
2. Solids: Elasticity theory is formulated with diff.eq.s
3. General relativity field equations use diff.eq's
4.Quantum Mechanics: The Schrödinger equation is a differential equation
+ a lot more

I know. but I'm looking for an article on the web. my search using google & yahoo had no results.
tnx a lot.

tnx a lot.
that's good. but it's not enough.
i'm looking 4 texts like this.

sincerely,

1. What is the significance of differential equations in physics?

Differential equations are a fundamental mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of physical systems. They allow us to model and analyze complex phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetism. In physics, differential equations are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of natural phenomena.

2. How are differential equations used in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, differential equations are used to describe the motion of objects under the influence of forces. The famous equation F=ma, known as Newton's second law, is a differential equation that relates the acceleration of an object to the forces acting on it. Differential equations are also used to model more complex systems, such as the motion of a pendulum or a planet in orbit.

3. Can differential equations be used to study thermodynamics?

Yes, differential equations are crucial for understanding thermodynamics, which is the study of heat and its interaction with matter. For example, the laws of thermodynamics can be expressed as differential equations, which describe the transfer of heat, work, and energy in a system. Differential equations are also used to model the behavior of ideal gases and the flow of heat in various materials.

4. How do differential equations play a role in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, differential equations are used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Maxwell's equations, a set of four differential equations, describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they interact with charged particles. These equations are essential for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are used in various technologies such as radios, cell phones, and radar.

5. Are differential equations important in quantum mechanics?

Yes, differential equations play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, which is the study of the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. The Schrödinger equation, a partial differential equation, is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics and describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. Differential equations are also used to model the behavior of particles in quantum systems and the probability of their interactions.