Topology - Use Componentwise Convergence Criterion to prove closed ball closed.

In summary, the Componentwise Convergence Criterion states that if a sequence {uk} in a set F converges to a point c, then the components of {uk} converge to the corresponding components of c. Using this criterion, we can prove that the set F = {u in R^n | ||u|| <= r} is closed by showing that if {uk} converges to c, then ||c|| <= r. This can be shown by using the triangle inequality and the fact that ||uk|| converges to ||c||, which leads to the conclusion that ||c|| <= r.
t00dles23

Homework Statement

Let r be a positive number and define F = {u in R^n | ||u|| <= r}. Use the Componentwise Convergence Criterion to prove F is closed.

Homework Equations

The Componentwise Convergence Criterion states: If {uk} in F converges to c, then pi(uk) converges to pi(c). That is, the ith component of the sequence converges to the ith component of c.

The Attempt at a Solution

What we want to show is that if {uk} in F converges to c, then ||c|| <= r.

It's easy to show it without the componentwise convergence criterion, as follows:
||c|| <= ||c - uk|| + ||uk||. Taking the limit as k goes to infinity, we get ||c|| <= 0 + ||uk|| <= r. But I need a proof that does use the CCC.

I tried this:
Suppose {uk} in F converges to c. Then pi(uk) converges to pi(c) by the componentwise convergence criterion. So:
|pi(uk)| <= ||uk|| <= r
Taking the limit as k goes to infinity, we get
|pi(c)| <= r
(pi(c))^2 <= r^2
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} (p_{i}(c))^2 \leq \sum_{i=1}^{n} r^2[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^{n} (p_{i}(c))^2} \leq \sqrt{nr^2}[/tex]
||c|| <= (n)^(1/2)*r

but this isn't a strong enough statement, because I need ||c|| <= r. Advice please?

Physics news on Phys.org
If pi(uk) --> pi(c) for every i, then what happens to the sequence

[tex]\sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^n{p_i(u_k)^2}}[/tex]

as k goes to infinity? To which number does this sequence converge?

I don't think I understand your hint. I mean sure, ||u_k|| --> ||c||. But I don't know what that does for me. It seems to just point back to the proof using ||c|| and the triangle inequality, but that doesn't use the componentwise convergence criterion. Can you elaborate?

Nevermind. I understand now. Thank you for your hint.

1. What is the Componentwise Convergence Criterion in topology?

The Componentwise Convergence Criterion is a theorem in topology that states that a set is closed if and only if it contains the limits of all convergent sequences of its elements.

2. How does the Componentwise Convergence Criterion prove closed ball closed?

The Componentwise Convergence Criterion can be used to prove that a closed ball is closed by showing that it contains the limits of all convergent sequences of its elements. This is because a closed ball is defined as the set of all points within a certain distance from a given point, and any convergent sequence within this distance will have a limit within the closed ball.

3. What is a closed ball in topology?

In topology, a closed ball is a set of all points within a certain distance from a given point. It is often represented as a closed disk or sphere in two or three dimensions.

4. Can the Componentwise Convergence Criterion be used to prove other sets are closed?

Yes, the Componentwise Convergence Criterion can be used to prove the closure of any set, not just closed balls. As long as the set contains the limits of all convergent sequences of its elements, it can be shown to be closed using this criterion.

5. Are there any other methods for proving a set is closed in topology?

Yes, there are other methods for proving a set is closed in topology, such as using the definition of closed sets or the closure operator. The Componentwise Convergence Criterion is just one of many useful tools for proving closed sets in topology.