Power transported down the cable(question about electric field)

In summary, power transported down the cable refers to the amount of electrical energy carried through a cable from one point to another. This is measured in watts and is dependent on factors such as cable thickness, distance, and resistance. Power is transported down the cable through the movement of electrons, driven by the electric field created by a voltage. To minimize power loss, thicker cables with lower resistance and proper maintenance are important. The electric field plays a crucial role in power transmission down the cable by driving the movement of electrons.
leonne

Homework Statement

calc the power transported down the cable

Homework Equations

S=1/[tex]\mu[/tex](E X B)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help in the math part.

First i found the E field and got E=[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2([tex]\pi[/tex]S [tex]\epsilon[/tex])) S^
B=([tex]\mu[/tex] I/2[tex]\pi[/tex]s) [tex]\phi[/tex]^
(note the pi and other greek letters are not exponents, not sure why it looks like it)

My question for this is where did they get the vectors from the S^ and the [tex]\phi[/tex]^
I am always bad figuring what it is. Its a wire so the guess field would be a cylinder. Does it have something to do with volume? I see in my notes for volume Q= pd[tex]\tau[/tex] and next to it i have (s ds d[tex]\phi[/tex] dz) is the E field always S^?
Also one more question about that for e field i have Q=[tex]\lambda[/tex] dl where dl=L
but for the B field, in my notes its dl=2[tex]\pi[/tex]S Not sure why that is.

Than for S=1/[tex]\mu[/tex](E X B)
I just make a matrix for the E and B where S^ is like X and [tex]\phi[/tex]^ and Y right? The answer they get is a Z^ so i am guess that's what you do.
Than i just plug for P=integral S da Also they go about converting it into p=VI they do V=E dl than get the final answer as p=VI but if i leave it the original way it would still be right?

edit
after doing the matrix, i got the answer as [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex]I/(4[tex]\pi[/tex]^2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]S2

and in the book, they have the same thing but no[tex]\mu[/tex] No idea how mu got canceled out
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the help
Thank you for your post. In order to calculate the power transported down the cable, you will need to use the following equation:

P = VI

Where P is the power in watts, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. You will also need to calculate the electric and magnetic fields using the equations you have provided. The vectors S^ and \phi^ are used to represent the direction of the electric and magnetic fields, respectively. The S^ vector points in the direction of the wire, while the \phi^ vector is perpendicular to the S^ vector and points in the direction of the magnetic field. This is because the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other in the case of a wire.

To calculate the power, you will need to integrate the P = VI equation over the surface area of the wire. This will give you the total power transported down the cable. When converting the integral to polar coordinates, you will need to use dl = Rd\theta instead of dl = L as you have mentioned. This is because the wire is in the shape of a cylinder, and you will need to integrate over the circumference of the cylinder.

As for your question about the units, the \mu term is not needed in the final equation because it is already included in the units of the electric and magnetic fields. The units for P are watts, which are equal to volts times amperes. The units for the electric field are volts per meter, while the units for the magnetic field are amperes per meter. When you multiply these units together, the units of meters cancel out, leaving you with watts.

I hope this helps you with your calculations. If you have any further questions, please feel free to post them in the forum. Good luck with your work!

1. What is power transported down the cable?

Power transported down the cable refers to the amount of electrical energy that is carried through a cable from one point to another. This can be measured in watts (W) and is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred.

2. How is power transported down the cable?

Power is transported down a cable through the movement of electrons. When a voltage is applied to the cable, it creates an electric field that causes the electrons to flow from the source to the destination, carrying the energy with them.

3. What factors affect power transmission down the cable?

The amount of power that can be transported down a cable is affected by several factors, including the thickness and material of the cable, the distance it needs to travel, and the amount of resistance in the circuit. Higher resistance and longer distances can result in a decrease in power transmission.

4. How is power loss minimized during cable transmission?

Power loss can be minimized during cable transmission by using thicker cables with lower resistance, reducing the distance the power needs to travel, and using materials with high conductivity. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular inspections of the cables can help prevent any potential damage or deterioration that could lead to power loss.

5. What is the role of the electric field in power transmission down the cable?

The electric field plays a crucial role in power transmission down the cable. It is responsible for creating the force that drives the movement of electrons and carries the energy through the cable. Without an electric field, there would be no power transmission down the cable.