Will a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry restrict my future post-doc to chemistry?

In summary, the individual is considering a PhD in Chemistry at UCL and has a background in Physics with an MSci in Mathematical Physics. They are confident that this PhD is suitable for them and are currently waiting on other PhD offers. They are interested in pursuing a career in academia after completing their PhD and are wondering if they will be limited to working in the chemistry department or if they can also work in the physics department. It is stated that the department in which the PhD is completed should not affect future career opportunities and that many individuals at the institution consider themselves physicists, indicating the possibility of moving between departments.
protolocke
I'm thinking of doing a PhD in http://www.ucl.ac.uk/chemistry/vacancies/adverts/studentships/2011/Zwijnenburg_2011_1" . I come from a physics background and have a MSci Mathematical Physics.

I'm confident that this PhD is suitable for me, and all I have to do now is accept the offer, but I have another couple of PhD offers to look at which I should be hearing back from soon.

If I do this PhD, I'll be working under the chemistry department. I'm thinking of carrying on in academia after finishing my PhD. My question is, will I be restricted to working in the chemistry department for future post-doc careers, or will I be able to post-docs in the physics department as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that your PhD was done in a chemistry department should not really affect your career, you should be judged on the actual work you do during the PhD.

There are many people in the chemistry and maths departments at my institution that consider themselves physicists.

Besides, you often read stories of scientists changing disciplines post PhD or even later in their career, so it can't be too hard to move between departments.

1. Will having a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry limit my post-doc opportunities to only chemistry-related fields?

No, having a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry does not restrict your post-doc opportunities to only chemistry-related fields. While your degree may have a focus in chemistry, the skills and knowledge gained during your PhD can be applied to a variety of fields such as physics, biology, materials science, and more.

2. Can I pursue a post-doc in a different field if I have a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry?

Yes, you can pursue a post-doc in a different field even if you have a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry. Many post-doc positions are interdisciplinary and value candidates who have a diverse background of expertise. Your PhD in Theoretical Chemistry can also demonstrate your ability to think critically and solve complex problems, which are highly sought after skills in various fields.

3. Will I be at a disadvantage when applying for a post-doc outside of chemistry with a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry?

No, having a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry does not put you at a disadvantage when applying for a post-doc outside of chemistry. Your degree and research experience demonstrate your abilities and qualifications, and many post-doc positions value candidates who have a strong foundation in scientific research and a diverse set of skills.

4. Are there any industries or fields where a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry is particularly valued?

Yes, a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry can be particularly valued in industries and fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and renewable energy. These fields often require advanced knowledge of chemical principles and the ability to use theoretical models to predict and design new molecules or materials.

5. Will my career options be limited if I pursue a post-doc in a different field than my PhD?

No, pursuing a post-doc in a different field than your PhD will not limit your career options. In fact, it can open up new opportunities and allow you to gain experience in different fields. Your PhD in Theoretical Chemistry will still be a valuable asset and can be applied to a variety of career paths in academia, industry, and government.