Civil engineering OR Electronic Engineering?

In summary, the person is trying to choose a major between Civil Engineering and Electronic Engineering. They mention that the Civil Engineering College at their university is better, but they have more interest in Electronic Engineering. They are confused about which major is suitable for them and ask for suggestions. The other person suggests going for Electronic Engineering if it is the same as Electrical Engineering and if money is the only factor, as it has more math and potential for higher pay. The person decides to choose Electronic Engineering because they want a career they enjoy.
panqihg
Now it's my time to choose my major,I will choose from Civil Engeering and Electronic Engineering.In my university,Civil Engeering College is better than Electronic Engineering College,I may get a higher salary if I choose the previous one,but the work may be tougher(I may stay at a very remote place to build a bridge for several mouths,and can't go home).However,I feel I have more interest in Elcetronic Engineering,I feel I am suitable for it,resently I am learning Theoretical Mechanics(A very important course for Civil Engineering),I also think it is interesting...
So I am very confused about it.I wander which kind of person is suitable for learning these two majors,I am good at mathematics,which one do you think is better for me?I am waiting for your suggestions,many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If Electronics Engineering = Electrical Engineering, go for that one.

If money is the only thing that made you think about Civil E. Go for Electric E. It has a lot of math.versatility and arguably a pathway for even more money then CE.

raam86 said:
If money is the only thing that made you think about Civil E. Go for Electric E. It has a lot of math.versatility and arguably a pathway for even more money then CE.
Thanks for you advice,I think I will choose EE,I must choose a career that I like,I will do well!

Both civil engineering and electronic engineering are important fields in the scientific world. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and strengths as to which one you should choose as your major.

Civil engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of physical structures such as buildings, bridges, roads, and dams. It requires a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, as well as problem-solving skills and attention to detail. Civil engineers often work on large-scale projects and may be required to travel to remote locations.

Electronic engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design, development, and testing of electronic systems and devices. This field requires a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science, as well as creativity and critical thinking skills. Electronic engineers typically work in offices or laboratories and may have more flexibility in terms of location.

Based on your description, it seems like you have a strong interest in electronic engineering and have a natural aptitude for mathematics. However, you also mention that you find theoretical mechanics interesting, which is a crucial course in civil engineering. This suggests that you may have an aptitude for both fields.

Ultimately, the best advice I can give is to carefully research and consider the courses and career opportunities within both civil engineering and electronic engineering. Consider your personal interests and strengths, as well as the potential challenges and rewards of each field. Ultimately, the best fit for you will depend on your individual goals and aspirations. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process.

1. What is Civil Engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment, including roads, bridges, buildings, and other structures. It involves the use of mathematical and scientific principles to plan, design, and oversee the construction of various infrastructure projects.

2. What are the key responsibilities of a Civil Engineer?

Civil engineers are responsible for planning, designing, and overseeing the construction of infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water supply systems. They also perform analysis and testing of materials, manage project budgets and timelines, and ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations.

3. What is Electronic Engineering?

Electronic engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and testing of electronic systems and components. This includes devices such as computers, mobile phones, communication systems, and other electronic equipment. Electronic engineers use their knowledge of mathematics, physics, and electronics to create innovative solutions for various industries.

4. What skills are essential for a successful career in Civil Engineering?

Some essential skills for a successful career in civil engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, communication and teamwork skills, and a good understanding of mathematical and scientific principles. It is also important to have knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with project management.

5. What are some common industries that employ Electronic Engineers?

Electronic engineers can work in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, aerospace, healthcare, consumer electronics, and manufacturing. They are also in high demand in the renewable energy sector, as well as in research and development for new technologies. With the increasing use of technology in our daily lives, there are many opportunities for electronic engineers in various industries.