Finding Velocity at impact of a projectile motion with an angle

In summary: At the point of impact, the rock has zero kinetic energy and the gravitational potential energy has been converted to thermal energy which is released into the environment.
Physics Rulez

Homework Statement

A medieval prince trapped in a castle wraps a message around a rock and throws it from the top of the castle wall with an initial velocity of 12 m/s [42 above horizon]. The rock lands just on the far side of the castle's moat, at a level 9.5 m below the initial level. Determine the velocity at impact.

Homework Equations

finding V1y and V1x and use the pythagorean theorem to solve for the resultant velocity which will be the velocity at impact.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about how to do this question. I understand that if the rock landed on the same level as it was thrown, then i could just use the angle and initial velocity to find Vx and Vy. Then use those to solve for the resultant velocity(which would be the velocity at impact). But since the rock land blow the height it was thrown, I am confused about if i can use the same method or do i have to find the Vy(velocity of the vertical) for the bottom part of the castle as well? i tried it this way but i keep on getting the wrong answer. The sheet says that i should get an answer of 18m/s(60degrees below the horizontal).
Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Place the castle into a coordinate system, and write up both the x, y components of the stone and the components of velocity as functions of time. No need to separate the motion to segments above the castle and below it: it is the same y(t) function. Find the time till the stone lands at the ground and calculate the components of velocity at that time.

ehild

You might also consider using conservation of energy. The rock starts with an initial kinetic energy and potential energy due to its initial velocity and height above the ground respectively.

1. What is the formula for finding the velocity at impact of a projectile motion with an angle?

The formula for finding the velocity at impact of a projectile motion with an angle is vf = v0 + at, where vf is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the projectile is in flight.

2. Can the angle of projection affect the velocity at impact?

Yes, the angle of projection can affect the velocity at impact. The velocity at impact will be higher if the angle of projection is closer to 90 degrees, and lower if the angle is closer to 0 degrees. This is because the vertical component of the initial velocity is higher when the angle is closer to 90 degrees, resulting in a higher final velocity at impact.

3. How does air resistance affect the velocity at impact?

Air resistance can decrease the velocity at impact of a projectile motion. This is because as the projectile moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force decreases the acceleration of the projectile, resulting in a lower final velocity at impact.

4. Is the velocity at impact the same as the average velocity during the projectile's flight?

No, the velocity at impact is not necessarily the same as the average velocity during the projectile's flight. The average velocity takes into account the entire duration of the projectile's flight, while the velocity at impact only considers the final velocity at the moment of impact.

5. Can the velocity at impact be negative?

Yes, the velocity at impact can be negative. This can occur if the projectile is launched at a high angle and has a negative vertical velocity at the moment of impact. However, the magnitude of the negative velocity will be lower than the initial velocity due to the effects of air resistance and gravity.