What are the solutions for these momentum/impulse problems?

• Thread starter DLxX
  • Start date
In summary, the first question involves calculating the average force between a baseball and bat during contact, given the mass and velocities of the objects and the contact time. The second question involves finding the impulse imparted to a golf ball and the average force exerted by a club, also using mass, velocity, and contact time. The answers provided are correct, but should be rounded to 2 significant figures. The formula used for finding average force in both questions is Fnet = (m(v-u))/t, where m is mass, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time.
DLxX
I need help with this problem.

1) A 0.145kg baseball pitched at 39m/s is hit on a horizontal line drive straight back toward the pitcher at 52m/s. If the contact time between bat and ball is 1.00 X 10^-3s, calculate the average force between the ball and bat during contact.

And for this problem I need to know if the answers I got were correct.

2) A golf ball of mass .045kg is hit off the tee at a speed of 45m/s. The golf club was in contact with the ball for 5.0 X 10^-3s. Find (a) the impulse imparted to the golf ball, and (b) the average force excerted on the ball by the golf club.

This is what I got.

BTW The 5.0 X 10^-3 is my way of showing scientific notion on the computer.
Impulse = 2.03
Average Force = 406

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers for the second question are correct but if you want to follow the rules of significant figures, round them to 2 significant figures only.
If you can find the average force for the second question, i don't see why you çan't find for the first question.

Leong said:
Your answers for the second question are correct but if you want to follow the rules of significant figures, round them to 2 significant figures only.
If you can find the average force for the second question, i don't see why you çan't find for the first question.
Well in the first question the ball is pitched to the batter, while in the second question the ball starts of stationary.

well, what is the formula you use to find the average force in the second question ?

Leong said:
well, what is the formula you use to find the average force in the second question ?
Fnet = Tri P / Tri T

The Tri being a triange which means P final minus P initial and P meaning Momentum with T meaning Time.

[tex]F_{net}=m*\frac{v-u}{t}[/tex]
v is the final velocity and u is the initial velocity of the baseball. the direction of v is opposite to the direction of u. Insert the appropriate sign after you have choosen your 1-D reference frame.

1. What is the difference between momentum and impulse?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while impulse is a measure of the force applied to an object over a period of time. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while impulse is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The SI unit for momentum is kg*m/s.

3. How does impulse relate to momentum?

Impulse is directly related to change in momentum. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to the change in momentum over time. This can be written as F = Δp/Δt, where F is force, Δp is change in momentum, and Δt is change in time.

4. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains constant, in a closed system as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

5. How does momentum affect collisions?

Momentum plays a crucial role in collisions. In an elastic collision, where kinetic energy is conserved, momentum is also conserved. In an inelastic collision, where kinetic energy is not conserved, momentum is still conserved. However, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms, such as heat or sound. Understanding the relationship between momentum and collisions is important in analyzing the outcomes of collisions in various scenarios.