Does string theory and the composition of quarks explain dark matter.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of dark matter being comprised of unmeasurable quark component dust and its relation to string theory. It is also mentioned that supersymmetry predicts the existence of superpartners that could explain dark matter. Additionally, the concept of quadratic mass renormalization is briefly mentioned.
alpha7158
Hello everyone. I'm not a physicist however have been doing some research on the concepts behind dark energy and string theory and it has presented me with a question:

Is it possible that dark matter could be the components of quarks that haven't pulled together to form the quarks. We can't measure what quarks are made of just yet so could it be feasible that this matter is a mast of unmeasurable quark component dust.

I relate this to string theory as it suggests that quarks are made up of energy strings. Please correct me if I have used any incorrect assumptions.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, quarks are fundamental according to most mainstream theories.

Yes!

Supersymmetry predicts the existence of twice as many particles as there currently are in the standard model. These particles are called superpartners. The super partner of neutral bosons, called the neutralino, is the leading candidate for dark matter.

Is it possible that dark matter could be the components of quarks that haven't pulled together to form the quarks.

I love how you conceptualized this. The super partners cancel the quadratic mass renormalization of the particles they're the partners of. Or as you put it, they are "pulled together". I have an intuitive idea of what quadratic mass renormalization is, but I couldn't explain it, maybe some else can.

Anyway check these articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersymmetry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_problem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_particles

1. What is string theory and how does it relate to dark matter?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the fundamental forces of the universe, including gravity, into a single unified theory. It proposes that the smallest building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings. These strings interact with each other to create all the particles and forces we observe in the universe. String theory also offers a potential explanation for dark matter, as it predicts the existence of new particles that could make up dark matter.

2. How do quarks play a role in explaining dark matter?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, which in turn make up the nucleus of an atom. String theory predicts the existence of additional types of quarks, beyond the six known types, which are collectively called "exotic" quarks. These exotic quarks are hypothesized to be heavier and more stable than the known quarks, making them potential candidates for dark matter particles.

3. Is there any evidence that supports the idea of dark matter being composed of exotic quarks?

At this time, there is no direct evidence that supports the existence of exotic quarks or that they make up dark matter. However, experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN are searching for these particles and could potentially provide evidence for their existence in the future.

4. Can string theory and the composition of quarks fully explain dark matter?

While string theory and the existence of exotic quarks offer a potential explanation for dark matter, it is still a theoretical concept and has not been confirmed through experiments. There are also other theories and hypotheses, such as the WIMP (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles) model, that attempt to explain dark matter. Further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand the nature of dark matter.

5. How does understanding dark matter benefit our understanding of the universe?

Dark matter is estimated to make up about 85% of the total mass of the universe, so understanding its nature and properties is crucial in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. By studying dark matter, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that govern the universe and potentially uncover new insights into the origins and fate of the universe.