High symmetry point in GaAs superlattice

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with plotting the bandstructure for a GaAs superlattice in the 111 direction. They mention that the structure is non-periodic in the z direction and periodic in the x and y direction. The speaker also mentions that the process is different from the bulk situation and they are having trouble finding the new symmetry points and a good book for reference. They mention being new in the field and suggest using a plane wave expansion approach and referencing textbooks or numerical packages for help with solving the Schrödinger equation for the superlattice.
mbarkira
Hi
I have a problem that i couldn't solve by myself with my little background. I want to plot the bandstructure for a GaAs superlattice, the z-axis is the 111 direction. The structure is non periodic in the z direction and periodic in the x and y direction. The process is totally different then the bulk situation since that should be a new brillouin zone and a new high symmetry points. I couldn't find the new symmetry points and i couldn't find any good book about this, it is really a big mess for me. so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Raouf

NB: I am really new in the field.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try to use a plane wave expansion approach for solving the Schrödinger equation for the superlattice. This is commonly used in electronic structure calculations, and it should provide you with the band structure of the system. You can find more information about this method in textbooks on computational solid state physics or quantum mechanics. Additionally, many numerical packages such as VASP and Quantum Espresso are available for performing such calculations.

1. What is a high symmetry point in a GaAs superlattice?

A high symmetry point in a GaAs superlattice refers to a specific point in the Brillouin zone (BZ) where the crystal structure exhibits symmetry. This means that the properties of the material, such as its electronic and optical properties, are the same at this point and its equivalent points in the BZ.

2. How is the high symmetry point determined in a GaAs superlattice?

The high symmetry point in a GaAs superlattice is determined by analyzing the crystal structure and its symmetry operations. These operations include translations, rotations, and reflections, which can be represented by a mathematical point group. By identifying the point group of the crystal, the high symmetry points in the BZ can be determined.

3. Why is the high symmetry point important in GaAs superlattices?

The high symmetry point is important in GaAs superlattices because it allows for the simplification of calculations and analysis of the material's properties. Since the properties are the same at this point and its equivalent points in the BZ, it is a useful reference point for understanding the behavior of the material.

4. How does the high symmetry point affect the band structure of a GaAs superlattice?

The high symmetry point has a significant impact on the band structure of a GaAs superlattice. At this point, the energy bands are highly degenerate, meaning that they have the same energy level. This leads to the formation of band gaps, which are important for determining the material's electronic and optical properties.

5. Can the high symmetry point be manipulated in GaAs superlattices?

Yes, the high symmetry point in GaAs superlattices can be manipulated by changing the crystal structure or applying external stimuli such as strain or electric fields. This manipulation can lead to changes in the material's properties and can be used to design and control new functionalities in GaAs superlattices.