Proving Unitary Operators = e^iA for Self Adjoint Matrix

• Thread starter skyroot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the question is whether a complex n x n matrix U is unitary if and only if it can be written as e^iA, where A is a self adjoint matrix in the same vector space and all of its eigenvalues lie in the interval [0,2pi]. The homework equations state that A is self adjoint and unitarily equivalent to a diagonal matrix, and that unitary operators are normal and have eigenvalues with absolute value 1. The student has proved one direction of the statement, but is seeking a hint for the other direction and is questioning if it is possible to prove. However, they later state that they have figured it out.
skyroot

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: if U is in the vector space of complex n x n matrices, then U is unitary if and only if U= e^iA, where A is some self adjoint matrix in same vector space, all of whose eigenvalues lie in the interval [0,2pi)

Homework Equations

A is self adjoint; A* = A, and A is unitarily equivalent to a diagonal matrix, A=PDP*, where P is a unitary matrix whose columns consist of eigenvectors of A which form an orthonormal basis for the vector space.
e^iA= P(a diagonal matrix with first entry, D'11= e^it1, and last entry D'nn=e^itn)P* . Where t1 thru tn
are the (real) eigenvalues of A, and P is the matrix defined above.
Unitary operators:
UU*= I , the defn of unitary
Unitary operators are normal, all eigenvalues have abs value 1, and ||Uv|| = ||v|| for any vector in the vector space U is acting on.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've proved it one of the directions, starting by assuming U=e^iA, putting it into the form i described above, and showing U*=e^-iA, simply multiplying UU* gives I, which is the defn of unitary operator. I think I need a small hint for how to approach the proof from the other direction,i.e. starting with assuming that U is unitary can one show that it equals e^iA for some self adjoint A. Questioning if only the first direction is true, and if the other direction can be proved at all. Trying to think of a counterexample. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, i got it

1. What is a unitary operator?

A unitary operator is a linear transformation on a vector space that preserves the inner product of vectors. In other words, it is a transformation that preserves the length and angles between vectors.

2. What does "e^iA" represent in the equation?

"e^iA" represents the exponential of a matrix A. This is a mathematical operation that can be performed on any square matrix and results in a new matrix with properties that are useful in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. What is a self-adjoint matrix?

A self-adjoint matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, it is a matrix that is equal to its own mirror image when reflected along the diagonal. This type of matrix is also known as a Hermitian matrix.

4. How do you prove that unitary operators equal e^iA for self-adjoint matrices?

To prove that unitary operators equal e^iA for self-adjoint matrices, we can use the spectral theorem. This theorem states that every self-adjoint matrix can be diagonalized by a unitary matrix. By applying this theorem and using properties of unitary and self-adjoint matrices, we can show that the exponential of a self-adjoint matrix is a unitary operator.

5. What are the applications of proving unitary operators equal e^iA for self-adjoint matrices?

This proof has many applications in various fields of mathematics and science such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and differential equations. It allows us to simplify complex calculations and make predictions about the behavior of systems using unitary operators and exponential matrices.