How does chloral hydrate affect GABAnergism?

• Thread starter treehouse
  • Start date
In summary, Chloral hydrate has a hypnotic effect by activating GABA receptors, but the specifics of its effect on intracellular GABAnergism and tolerance are not well understood. More research is needed to determine its impact on GABA autoreceptors.
treehouse
After some poking around I found this article<sup>1</sup> suggesting that chloral hydrate somehow has a hypnotic (sleep inducing) effect via GABA agonism, but this isn't very specific.

What I need to know is if it causes a deluge of intracellular GABAnergism in the post-synaptic (dendritic) neurons. Will it eventually result in a tolerance to chloral hydrate and GABA via the compensatory response whereby an abnormally high level of intracellular neurotransmitter stimulation (whether it is caused by the neurotransmitter or another chemical that happens to stimulates the receptor) causes the cell to reduce the number of neuroreceptors for the elevated neurotransmitter type on the cell body?

I need to know for my family.

<sup>1</sup>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17557503

Biology news on Phys.org

1. What is chloral hydrate and how does it affect GABAnergism?

Chloral hydrate is a sedative and hypnotic drug that is commonly used for its calming effects. It works by increasing the activity of the neurotransmitter GABA, which is responsible for inhibiting nerve activity and promoting relaxation. This increased GABA activity results in sedation and sleepiness.

2. How does chloral hydrate interact with the GABAnergic system?

Chloral hydrate works by binding to specific receptors on GABAergic neurons, known as GABA-A receptors. This binding enhances the effects of GABA, making it more potent and increasing its inhibitory action on the nervous system. This results in sedation and relaxation.

3. Can chloral hydrate affect other neurotransmitters besides GABA?

While chloral hydrate primarily affects GABAergic neurotransmission, it can also have effects on other neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin. This can result in additional sedative and anxiolytic effects.

4. Are there any potential side effects of chloral hydrate's effects on GABAnergism?

Some potential side effects of chloral hydrate's effects on GABAnergism include dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, and impaired motor coordination. In high doses, it can also lead to respiratory depression and even coma.

5. How does the dosage of chloral hydrate affect its effects on GABAnergism?

The dosage of chloral hydrate can greatly impact its effects on GABAnergism. Higher doses can result in more potent and longer-lasting sedative effects, while lower doses may only produce mild sedation. It is important to follow the prescribed dosage and not exceed it without medical supervision.