Calculating Impulse Without Mass: A Bouncing Ball Lab Dilemma

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab involving a bouncing ball and the need to calculate its kinetic energy and impulse without a given mass. The individual has calculated the kinetic energy using the potential energy equation and is confused about how to calculate impulse with the given information. It is mentioned that the mass of the ball is not changing and that the question may be unanswerable without additional information about the ball's squishiness and the height of its first bounce.
Megzzy

Homework Statement

I am currently working on a lab that deals with a bouncing ball where I need to find the KE and impulse yet I have no mass given.

Homework Equations

PE=mgh
KE=1/2mv
p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated KE by first finding the PE in the middle of the bounce where they will be equal.
So half way from the highest point I calculated PE using PE=mgh. Then assumed KE was the exact same.

I am however confused as to how to calculate impulse since I have no mass, just a KE value.

Physics news on Phys.org
well what ARE you given?

The height of the first bounce was 0.799 m. Therefore half that distance is 0.3995 (Where KE and PE are equal). I then took this is used it in the PE equation. The mass of the ball is not changing however so I don't see that it's needed.
Therefore PE=mgh
PE=0.3995m x 9.8
PE=3.92
Therefore KE=3.92.

I don't know how to get impulse from this.

Ep isn't 3.92

if you take Ep=Ek at halfway point then:

mgh=(1/2)mv^2

therefore it is implied that

gh=(1/2)v^2

but it is not implied that Ep=gh...

I don't see what impulse you're looking for? If it's the impulse the ball has when it hits the ground it depends on how squishy the ball is.

If all you've been given is the height of the first bounce the question is not answerable.

1. What is momentum in a bouncing ball?

Momentum in a bouncing ball refers to the property of an object in motion that determines how much force is needed to stop or change its direction. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the ball by its velocity.

2. How does the momentum of a bouncing ball change?

The momentum of a bouncing ball changes when it collides with another object or surface. When the ball bounces off a surface, its direction and velocity change, causing a change in momentum.

3. What factors affect the momentum of a bouncing ball?

The momentum of a bouncing ball is affected by its mass, velocity, and the surface it bounces off. A heavier ball will have more momentum than a lighter ball, and a faster-moving ball will have more momentum than a slower one. Additionally, the surface the ball bounces off can affect its momentum depending on its elasticity and angle of impact.

4. Is momentum conserved in a bouncing ball?

Yes, momentum is conserved in a bouncing ball. This means that the total momentum of the ball before and after a bounce remains the same, although it may change direction and be transferred to other objects or surfaces during the bounce.

5. How does the concept of momentum apply to real-life situations?

The concept of momentum can be seen in many real-life situations, such as sports, car accidents, and even simple activities like throwing a ball. In sports like basketball and soccer, players use the momentum of the ball to their advantage when passing or shooting. In car accidents, the momentum of the vehicles involved determines the severity of the impact. And when throwing a ball, the momentum of the arm and the ball work together to propel the ball forward.