An electric pump raise 9.1m^3 of water from a reservoir

In summary: I used Modern Physics by Tipler back in my college days.Oh, I'm in grade 11.Then you should be good to go, but it may be more challenging than you are used to.Then you should be good to go, but it may be more challenging than you are used to.In summary, an electric pump raises 9.1m^3 of water from a reservoir whose water-level is 4m below ground level to a storage tank above ground in 1 hour using 50kW of power.
lionely
1. An electric pump raise 9.1m^3 of water from a reservoir whose water-level is 4m
below ground level to a storage tank above ground. If the discharge pipe outlet is
32m above ground and the operation takes 1hour,find the minimum power rating of
the pump if it's efficiency is 70%.(1m^3 of water has a mass of 1000kg)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

An Idea suddenly came to me I need to find the energy but using Potential Energy formula? mgh?

I'm sorry I have no Idea how to attempt it, please help me, give me a hint on what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, potential energy = mgh.

And power = Energy / Time = mgh / time

Or the ideal power is expressed as:

Power (ideal) = (Δm / Δt) gh

And we divide this by the pump efficiency [itex]\eta[/itex] to get the real power:

Power (ideal) = (Δm / Δt) X gh / [itex]\eta[/itex]

Notice that Δm can be figured our from your volume and density and Δt is given.

Sorry I'm not a pro physics student that triangle means change right? so it's change in mass/change in time x gravity x height/ 70%?

lionely said:
Sorry I'm not a pro physics student that triangle means change right? so it's change in mass/change in time x gravity x height/ 70%?
Yes ! And you are getting the idea, so maybe one day soon you will be a pro physics student.

But the thing is I don't see a change in mass or density. :S

Ohh wait I should find the density by doing 9100KG x 9.1? because Density = Mass x volume?

lionely said:
But the thing is I don't see a change in mass or density. :S
Think of the change is mass as follows:

First note: mass = density X volume = 1000 kg / m^3 X 9.1 m^3

After 1 hour, all this mass will be pumped out, so this is your "change" in mass.

lionely said:
Ohh wait I should find the density by doing 9100KG x 9.1? because Density = Mass x volume?
Close. But, Density = Mass / Volume

Alright should I do this 9100 x 10 x 32( I believe this is the height) to get the energy then divide it by the efficiency?

lionely said:
Alright should I do this 9100 x 10 x 32( I believe this is the height) to get the energy then divide it by the efficiency?
Close. Notice that the water is 4 m underground, so work is done over a total height change of: 32m + 4m. And you have to introduce your time of 1 hour in the equation to get power.

Alright so it's Power= Energy/Time = mgh/time = 9100kg x 10 x 36/ 60 or convert the 36m to km?

lionely said:
Alright so it's Power= Energy/Time = mgh/time = 9100kg x 10 x 36/ 60 or convert the 36m to km?
With some practice, you can learn to manipulate units: (kg/sec) X (m/s^2) X m = watt. For now, if you stay in base SI units of kg, m, s, then energy will be in joules, and power will be in watts. So your time should be noted as: 1 hr = 3600 sec.

I can't seem to get the answer in the back of the book it says 1.3kW

lionely said:
I can't seem to get the answer in the back of the book it says 1.3kW
Show me the numbers you used.

9100kg x 10m/s2 x 36m / 60 seconds = 54,600J/70%

lionely said:
9100kg x 10m/s2 x 36m / 60 seconds = 54,600J/70%
The elapsed time is 1 hr:

1 hr = 60 minutes = 3600 sec.

LOL I didn't even realize LOL I'm STUPID

lionely said:
LOL I didn't even realize LOL I'm STUPID
Honest mistake.

This is a good "real world" problem. Try to understand all we did.

I will this textbook I'm using is full of challenging questions, Physics by Abbott you know of it?

lionely said:
I will this textbook I'm using is full of challenging questions, Physics by Abbott you know of it?
I used Modern Physics by Tipler back in my college days.

Oh, I'm in grade 11.

1. How does an electric pump raise water from a reservoir?

An electric pump raises water from a reservoir by using an electric motor to power an impeller, which creates a suction force that draws water into the pump. The impeller then pushes the water through a series of pipes and valves, ultimately raising it from the reservoir.

2. How much water can an electric pump raise?

The amount of water an electric pump can raise depends on its flow rate and the time it operates. In this case, the pump can raise 9.1 cubic meters (m^3) of water, which is equivalent to about 9,100 liters.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of an electric pump?

The efficiency of an electric pump can be affected by several factors, including the type and condition of the pump, the distance the water needs to be raised, the size and shape of the pipes used, and the amount of friction between the water and the pipes.

4. How much energy does an electric pump use to raise water from a reservoir?

The amount of energy an electric pump uses to raise water from a reservoir depends on its power rating and the duration of its operation. Generally, the larger and more powerful the pump, the more energy it will consume.

5. Can an electric pump raise water from a reservoir to a higher elevation?

Yes, an electric pump can raise water from a reservoir to a higher elevation, as long as the pump has enough power and the pipes used are capable of handling the increased pressure. However, the higher the elevation, the more energy the pump will need to use.