Direction of propagation of wave

In summary, the direction of propagation of a wave refers to the direction in which the wave travels through a medium, determined by the oscillations of particles in the medium and can change based on the properties of the medium, type of wave, and frequency. While not directly related, the wavelength and frequency can also affect the direction of propagation.
aseem
how to prove that a wave given as A.exp[i (wt - kx) ] is moving in positive x direction ?

similarly, how to prove that a wave given as A.exp[i (wt + kx) ] is moving in negative x direction ?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
let y = Aexp[i(wt - kx)].

Consider a point with fixed displacement y. If t increases, x must increase also to keep y constant.

But in y = Aexp[i(wt + kx)] to keep y constant as time t increses then x must decrease.

thank you. i got it :)

1. What is the direction of propagation of a wave?

The direction of propagation of a wave refers to the direction in which the wave travels as it moves through a medium. This can be described using cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) or using angles in degrees.

2. How is the direction of propagation of a wave determined?

The direction of propagation of a wave is determined by the direction of the oscillations of the particles in the medium through which the wave is passing. This is typically perpendicular to the direction of the wave itself.

3. Can the direction of propagation of a wave change?

Yes, the direction of propagation of a wave can change if it encounters a change in the medium it is passing through or if it is reflected or refracted.

4. What factors affect the direction of propagation of a wave?

The factors that affect the direction of propagation of a wave include the properties of the medium through which it is passing, such as density, temperature, and pressure. The type of wave and its frequency can also have an impact.

5. How does the direction of propagation of a wave relate to its wavelength and frequency?

The direction of propagation of a wave is not directly related to its wavelength and frequency. However, the wavelength and frequency do affect how the wave propagates through a medium and can impact its direction of travel.