How to block off charge particles from an electron accelerator?

In summary: So I don't think the experience you're having is caused by anything specific, but rather by something more general. In summary, it's possible to have sleep paralysis, but it's not caused by an electric field being generated in an accelerator.
fredreload
Assuming an electron accelerator is firing electrons at a designated location to generate current. Is it possible to block it off before it reaches that location like with an iron shield or somesort. Is there a simpler or harder way to do this and is it possible to block it off completely? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How fast would the electrons be moving? Or how long have they been accelerating? Or how strong is the electric field? lead or and electromagnetic field would work best. The electromagnetic field may be able to alter the corse of the electron so that it misses the designated location, but stopping it is unlikley. lead might be able to stop it if the electron is moving slow enough to be captured by the lead.

Energetic electrons that are produced as a result of beta decay (typically Mev) can be stopped by a few millimeters of metal. Electrons accelerated in linear accelerators typically have more energy and are harder to stop.

Can I ask why is this accelerator being used to generate a current at a location? Is this in a conductor, or plasma, or what?

Got the idea that I'm being targeted by one while I'm asleep, not sure which type of accelerator that would be. What kind of equipment would generate an electromagnetic field to alter the course of the electrons? Is it possible to buy one anywhere that would affect the entire room?

fredreload said:
Got the idea that I'm being targeted by one while I'm asleep, not sure which type of accelerator that would be. What kind of equipment would generate an electromagnetic field to alter the course of the electrons? Is it possible to buy one anywhere that would affect the entire room?

I have absolutely no idea why you would think this is happening to you. It simply isn't possible to fire electrons through air, walls, etc without a LOT of people knowing about it. I don't think we have an accelerator that can do that considering how easy it is for anything to block them, so I don't even think it is remotely possible. ALL accelerators require hard vacuum to even work.

well, how else would you generate current at a taget location.

fredreload said:
well, how else would you generate current at a taget location.

Generally you don't generate current at a location greater than a few inches to a foot or so away from whatever source, such as the magnets in a generator. And this only happens in a conductor, not in you or most of the stuff in your room. Why do you think someone is attempting to generate a current in/around you?

fredreload said:
You've got to calm down, fredreload. The notion that someone is aiming a particle accelerator at you is outlandish. It couldn't be done, even if someone wanted to. It takes huge electromagnets just to keep the electrons contained going round and round inside the machine. They can't "beam" those electrons anywhere: if they happen to get out of the accelerator they randomly disperse and slow down quickly.

The fact you said you think it only happens while you're asleep indicates to me you might actually be having some kind of sleep problem. Maybe reading up on sleep disorders will be more fruitful than finding out about particle accelerators:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_disorder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I, myself, have had 4 instances of sleep paralysis. They were terrifying. I had no explanation for them at the time they happened, and if it had occurred to me that they were caused by a particle accelerator, I would have considered that explanation as good as any. In the time since, though, I discovered that there are all kinds of physiological/medical/mental/neurological problems that are well known and can explain any weird feeling or experience anyone can have.

1. How do I block off charge particles from an electron accelerator?

In order to block off charge particles from an electron accelerator, you can use a device called a beam stop or beam dump. This device is typically made of a dense material such as lead or tungsten, and it absorbs the particles and dissipates their energy, preventing them from reaching the surrounding environment.

2. What is the purpose of blocking off charge particles from an electron accelerator?

The main purpose of blocking off charge particles from an electron accelerator is to control the direction and intensity of the electron beam. By preventing the particles from escaping, scientists can precisely target the beam to a specific location for experiments or applications.

3. Can I use magnetic fields to block off charge particles from an electron accelerator?

Yes, magnetic fields can also be used to block off charge particles from an electron accelerator. By using a strong magnetic field, the particles can be deflected away from the desired path, preventing them from reaching the surrounding environment.

4. Are there any safety concerns when blocking off charge particles from an electron accelerator?

Yes, safety is a major concern when dealing with electron accelerators. The high energy of the particles can be dangerous, and it is important to have proper shielding and safety protocols in place when working with these devices.

5. How do I know if the charge particles are completely blocked off from the electron accelerator?

Scientists use various methods to ensure that charge particles are fully blocked off from an electron accelerator. These can include measuring the intensity of the beam at different points, performing simulations, and conducting physical tests with detectors to ensure no particles are escaping.