Changing bounds of integration.

In summary, The conversation discussed how to define the bounds for an integral involving a triangle in the xy plane. The final decision was that the triangle is bounded by the x-axis, the line x=1, and the line y=2x (or x=y/2). The preferred order for integration depends on whether one is integrating with respect to y or x first.
Kuma

Homework Statement

The problem given:

niQjZ.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need an x^2 in there to do the inner integral. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how the bounds are defined. X goes from 1 to y/2 and y goes from 0 to 2. So does that mean x goes from 1 to 2x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a sketch of the region you're integrating over in the xy plane.

I did that but I'm unsure if its right.

It should just look like a triangle from my drawing. Y going from 0 to 2 and x going from 2x to 1

So then the changed order should be

y going from 0 to 2x and x going from 0 to 1?

Kuma said:
I did that but I'm unsure if its right.

It should just look like a triangle from my drawing. Y going from 0 to 2 and x going from 2x to 1
Yes, but you're saying it in kind of a confusing way. When you say "x going from 2x to 1," you're using "x" to mean two different things. It would be better to say x goes from y/2 to 1.

So then the changed order should be

y going from 0 to 2x and x going from 0 to 1?
Yes, that's right. The triangle is bounded on two sides by the x-axis and the line x=1. The third side is the line y=2x or, equivalently, x=y/2. The first form is useful when you integrate with respect to y first; the second form is useful when you integrate with respect to x first.

1. What is meant by "changing bounds of integration"?

Changing bounds of integration refers to the process of modifying the limits of integration in a definite integral. This is often done to simplify the calculation or to change the region of integration.

2. Why would someone need to change the bounds of integration?

There are several reasons why someone might need to change the bounds of integration. One common reason is to simplify the calculation by choosing more convenient limits. Another reason is to change the region of integration, such as when dealing with multivariable functions.

3. How do you change the bounds of integration?

To change the bounds of integration, you first need to identify the new limits. This can be done by manipulating the original limits or by graphing the function and determining the appropriate limits. Once you have the new limits, you can substitute them into the integral and proceed with the calculation.

4. Can changing the bounds of integration affect the value of the integral?

Yes, changing the bounds of integration can affect the value of the integral. This is because the limits of integration determine the region over which the function is being integrated. By changing the limits, you may be including or excluding certain parts of the function, leading to a different result.

5. Are there any limitations to changing the bounds of integration?

Yes, there are some limitations to changing the bounds of integration. For example, the new limits must still be within the original limits of integration. Additionally, the new limits must be chosen in a way that does not change the nature of the integral, such as swapping the upper and lower limits. It is important to carefully consider the implications of changing the bounds before proceeding with the calculation.