Anyone recommend book about Paleontology?

• Thread starter JesseC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in the history of the Earth and the biosphere. They are looking for a good introductory book on the subject and have found an ebook called "The Earth's Biosphere Evolution, Dynamics, and Change" by Vaclav Smil. They have also found another book, "An Introduction to the Earth-Life System" by Charles Cockell, which is recommended for its readability and comprehensive coverage. It focuses on the evolution of the biosphere and also includes information on paleontology.
JesseC
I've recently developed a fascination with the history of the Earth and the biosphere. Can anyone recommend a good introductory book on the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I found an ebook called "The Earth's Biosphere Evolution, Dynamics, and Change" by Vaclav Smil. It appears to be what I'm looking for...

Here's one I've been reviewing for use in my Physical Geology course for non-geoscientists, and I found it very nice. Easily readable, especially for a layperson, and very comprehensive. It's more about the evolution of the biosphere rather than the study of paleontology, per se, but there's a lot of that in there as well.

An Introduction to the Earth-Life System, Charles Cockell, ISBN 978-0521729536, available in paperback.

What is paleontology?

Paleontology is the study of prehistoric life through the examination of fossils. It involves the identification, classification, and interpretation of ancient organisms and their environments.

Why is paleontology important?

Paleontology is important because it helps us understand the history of life on Earth. By studying fossils, we can learn about the evolution of different species and how they adapted to changing environments. This knowledge can also help us make predictions about future changes to our planet.

What skills are needed to become a paleontologist?

Paleontology requires a strong foundation in biology, geology, and chemistry. It also involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Fieldwork and laboratory experience are also important skills for a paleontologist.

What are some recommended books about paleontology?

There are many great books about paleontology, but some popular recommendations include "The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs" by Steve Brusatte, "Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin, and "The Fossil Hunter" by Shelley Emling.

Can anyone recommend a book about paleontology for beginners?

Yes, there are several great books for beginners in paleontology. Some suggestions include "The Story of Life in 25 Fossils" by Donald R. Prothero, "The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs" by Gregory S. Paul, and "Fossil Legends of the First Americans" by Adrienne Mayor.