Introducing Rigor to my existent knowledge (Calculus and Linear Algebra)

In summary: An engineering major who is interested in Computational Mathematics might find Apostol or Kenneth Ross too hard to follow. He might want to search the internet for calculus lecture notes, similar to the ones recommended in this summary. Alternatively, he might want to get a book like Mathematical methods for scientists and engineers by Donald Allan McQuarrie.
nunoxic
I am an Mechanical Engineering major and just recently I found myself to be very interested in Computational Mathematics. I have taken the typical 3 courses on Calculus but the problem is that since they were being taught majorly to an engineering audience, no one bothered with the epsilon deltas. I know how to find limits, differentiate weird functions and integrate improper integrals but when I try to read research on Nonlinear Optimization or Numerical Linear Algebra, I am unable to follow the math because of its rigor.

I have some time to work on this before joining graduate school and wanted a recommendation for a good book that would allow me to revise the 3 semesters of calculus while simultaneously improve my ability to read and write rigorous proofs. However, I don't want a book like Apostol or Spivak (which run for thousands of pages) because I already know a lot of Calculus and honestly, it gets boring.

My goal is to finish revision and introduction of rigor as quickly as possible and move on to more advanced stuff that I am currently stuck on (Boundary Value Problems in Fluid Mechanics, NLA and Optimization to name a few)

I already have Apostol and Kenneth Ross but the former is tooooooo long and the latter (I believe) stops abruptly.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest to search the internet for calculus lecture notes - they are usually more concise than books, covering the most important topics at the same time.

Another option would be to get a book similar to "Mathematical methods for scientists and engineers" by Donald Allan McQuarrie. Such books are one thousand pages long, however, they cover a lot of different topics, that are the most important to engineers.

I find your post a little confusing, you say that you have trouble following the more rigorous texts and yet you wish to avoid Spivak (Which does not run for anywhere over 400 pages, I don't have it around me right now). Spivak is very good at getting one used to more mathematically abstract thinking. You wish to learn epsilon-deltas, well Spivak is an ideal place to begin, did you even take a look at Spivak at your library?

In any case, if you want a rigorous linear algebra book, you could try Friedberg, Insel and Spence; or if you've taken some abstract algebra (most engineering majors around here don't) then Hoffman and Kunze is also great; lastly you could look through Hefferon's free linear algebra book, it is also quite nice.

Good luck!

1. How does introducing rigor to my existing knowledge of Calculus and Linear Algebra benefit me?

Introducing rigor to your existing knowledge of Calculus and Linear Algebra allows you to have a deeper understanding of these concepts and their applications. By incorporating rigorous proofs and logic, you will have a stronger foundation for advanced mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to introduce rigor to my existing knowledge?

While a strong background in mathematics can definitely be helpful, it is not necessary to introduce rigor to your existing knowledge. With dedication and practice, anyone can develop a strong understanding of rigorous mathematical concepts.

3. How can I incorporate rigor into my study of Calculus and Linear Algebra?

One way to incorporate rigor into your study is to actively seek out and practice rigorous proofs and logic in your coursework. Additionally, you can supplement your studies with additional resources such as textbooks or online courses that focus on rigorous approaches to these subjects.

4. Will introducing rigor to my existing knowledge of Calculus and Linear Algebra make the material more difficult?

Introducing rigor may initially make the material more challenging, as you are learning to think and approach problems in a new way. However, in the long run, it will deepen your understanding and make the material more manageable and applicable to other mathematical concepts.

5. How can I measure my progress in incorporating rigor into my understanding of Calculus and Linear Algebra?

You can measure your progress by challenging yourself with more difficult proofs and problems, and seeking feedback from instructors or peers. Additionally, you can track your understanding of key concepts and their connections to other areas of mathematics.