MATLAB - Dynamic variable name for Data Store/Read/Write

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of creating a subsystem with auto-populating parameters for a timer name. Two potential solutions are suggested: using a MATLAB script to update the timer name in the data store blocks, or using a Simulink library block with the parameter already set. The expert also offers further assistance if needed.
runandrew
Hello,

I am trying to create a subsystem with parameters shown here:
2h81ys2.png

I want the parameter name to auto-populate the 'Timer Name' in the blocks of Data Store Memory/Read/Write, but it just leaves it as 'nam'. The subsystem blocks are shown below.
wmcg1c.png

So basically, I was to set the Timer Name as a parameter and have the data blocks re-name themselves, so all my Timer's have unique variables for data.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
Andy

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Andy,

I understand your frustration with trying to create a subsystem with auto-populating parameters for your timer name. This can be a tricky task, but there are a few ways you can approach it.

One option is to use a MATLAB script to automatically update the timer name parameter in the data store blocks. This can be done by creating a script that will read the parameter value and use it to update the timer name in the blocks. This script can be run every time you change the parameter value, ensuring that all the blocks are updated accordingly.

Another option is to use a Simulink library block that contains the data store blocks with the timer name parameter already set. This way, when you add the library block to your subsystem, the timer name parameter will already be populated and you can simply change the value as needed.

I hope these suggestions help you achieve your goal. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

1. How do I dynamically change the variable name for data storage in MATLAB?

To dynamically change the variable name for data storage in MATLAB, you can use the genvarname function. This function takes in a string and returns a valid MATLAB variable name by adding an underscore and a number if necessary. You can then use this new variable name to store your data.

2. Can I use a variable to store and read data in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use a variable to store and read data in MATLAB. You can use the save function to save your data to a variable, and the load function to read the data from the variable.

3. How do I dynamically change the variable name for data reading in MATLAB?

Similar to changing the variable name for data storage, you can use the genvarname function to dynamically change the variable name for data reading in MATLAB. You can use this new variable name when using the load function to read your data.

4. Is there a way to automatically generate variable names for data storage in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use the genvarname function with a loop to automatically generate variable names for data storage in MATLAB. This can be useful when storing multiple sets of data with similar names.

5. Can I use dynamic variable names for data writing in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use dynamic variable names for data writing in MATLAB. You can use the genvarname function to generate a valid MATLAB variable name and then use that name when writing your data using the save function.