Favorite TV Shows, Skits, Plots, One-Liners, Moments, or Events

In summary, the conversation was about favorite and memorable TV shows, skits, plots, one-liners, moments, or events. The participants mentioned a variety of shows including sitcoms, science shows, documentaries, and reality shows. Some popular shows mentioned were Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch, The Simpsons, and WKRP in Cincinnati. Participants also discussed their favorite episodes and scenes from these shows. Overall, it was a nostalgic conversation about the impact of TV on their lives.
Physics news on Phys.org
MASH, Northern Exposure and The West Wing are the reruns I prefer to watch. Also PBS, History, Science and Discovery channels are frequently watched.

Bewitched, I dream of genie(not sure of the spelling) , Flinstones, Spider-Man and friends, X-men, Fraiser, Friends, Everybody loves Raymond, Charmed, The practice, CSI, Monk, Becker, Explorations, Alias(why is season4 taking so long! Argh :mad:)

some of my favorites were sid ceasar's show of shows, maverick ("a fellow's brother"), jack benny, red skelton, tomorrowland on the disney hour with werner von braun, and (with my dad) watching abbott and costello or old westerns staring people like bob steele and hoot gibson, oh yes "you bet your life" with groucho marx and george fenneman, the "quiz kids", and ted mack's amateur hour (my brother was a contestant one night with his band), i love lucy, our ms brooks, dragnet (my dad was an investigator and loved it when jack webb said "just the facts ma'am"). paul winchell and jerry mahoney (Paul was the best ventriloquist ever, then retired and became a mechanical heart inventor).

sid caesar was probably my favorite, although sometimes he made my stomach hurt from laughing so hard, like when he played the saxophone with glasses 3 inches thick and hair higher than marge simpson.

oh yes, alfred hitchcock! every week.:bugeye:

Last edited:
I watched a lot of TV when I was very young. My favorite shows were those educational PBS shows, like SquareOne TV and Ghostwriter. Those were the days :biggrin:

No Carnivale or MillenniuM fans? You people are too positive :uhh: :rofl: .

MASH, Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, Rick Mercer Report just cause he's so stupid, CSI LV and Miami, ER.

mathwonk said:
...red skelton...abbott and costello...

check, check, great stuff!

oh yes "you bet your life" with groucho marx and george fenneman,

I loved that duck!

amateur hour (my brother was a contestant one night with his band),

My uncle danced on Truth on Consequences, and then they caught granny on camera playing with her dentures. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i love lucy, our ms brooks, dragnet (my dad was an investigator and loved it when jack webb said "just the facts ma'am").

I met Webb once at a anti-drug thingy.

Yep, a real favorite of mine as well. That, the Twilight Zone, and Outer Limits. But watching the old Outer Limits shows can be painful now. :rofl:

Mission Impossible(both the original and the 80's).
V.
X files!
Babylon 5(easily the best sci-fi show ever made).
Star trex-next generation.
Tour of duty.
Simpsons.
Macgyver.
Twin Peaks!

Way to resurrect a thread mathwonk. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Shows I watched growing up were the Flinstones, The Jetsons, Bugs Bunny, I Love Lucy (they were reruns, not the originals), My Favorite Martian, The Beverly Hillbillies, Mr Ed, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, Bewitched, Dick Van Dyke show, Star Trek,The Adams Family, Green Acres, I dream of Jeannie, Get Smart, Hogan's Heros, Mission Impossible, The Avengers, Bob Newhart, Rowan & Martin's Laugh In, Taxi, Mork & Mindy, The Man from UNCLE, Cheers, Fantasy Island, ALF, Three's Company, St Elsewhere, Night Court, Moonlighting, Who's The Boss, WKRP in Cincinnati, Soap, Frasier, . . . , Quantum Leap, . . . , Star Trek the Next Generation, Wings
Most of these. There's another thread somewhere about favorite TV shows.

Get Smart was a favorite.

After I left my parents home in 1975, I didn't watch TV much, if at all - too busy with academics and on the streets/outdoors. Didn't really start watching TV again until the late 1980's, and that was mostly science and documentary programs like Beyond 2000, and the Discovery Channel.

I have rarely watch TV in years, actually since I left grad school.

Without a doubt, my favorite show is Arrested Development. Alias and Seinfeld are tied for second. Other shows that are up there: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, The Practice, Boston Legal, Lost, MacGyver, The Simpsons, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, My Name is Earl, The Office (US version), and Stargate SG-1.

mathwonk said:
some of my favorites were sid ceasar's show of shows, maverick ("a fellow's brother"), jack benny, red skelton, tomorrowland on the disney hour with werner von braun, and (with my dad) watching abbott and costello or old westerns staring people like bob steele and hoot gibson, oh yes "you bet your life" with groucho marx and george fenneman, the "quiz kids", and ted mack's amateur hour (my brother was a contestant one night with his band), i love lucy, our ms brooks, dragnet (my dad was an investigator and loved it when jack webb said "just the facts ma'am"). paul winchell and jerry mahoney (Paul was the best ventriloquist ever, then retired and became a mechanical heart inventor).

sid caesar was probably my favorite, although sometimes he made my stomach hurt from laughing so hard, like when he played the saxophone with glasses 3 inches thick and hair higher than marge simpson.

Those were all great shows and many of them were done live. Mr. Wizard was also a great science show for kids.
The first show I really got hooked on was the original Star Trek, it first aired in the fall of 66. Man my age is showing.:smile:

The comedy variety hour shows had some of the best comedy and entertainment on American television. (Laugh In, Smothers Brothers, The Carol Burnett Show ect)

Currently I mostly watch PBS and The History Channel. About the only prime time show I watch is "Lost", and I do that mostly because I have nephew who writes for the show. I like to tease him and tell him that it is the writers who are lost.

Last edited:
Hill Street Blues
Northern Exposure
Cheers
Friends
ER
Picket Fences (I may be the only person in the world who was adicted to this.)
And the amazing HBO series:

Six Feet Under
2001-2005

zoobyshoe said:
Northern Exposure

Did you catch Rick's funeral?

Did we already discuss that here or somewhere else...:uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:
Did you catch Rick's funeral?

Did we already discuss that here or somewhere else...:uhh:
Is that the one where they went and fetched the dead body from way out in the boonies, or is that the Jewish funeral where they were trying to find enough jews to do the prayer ceremony?

zoobyshoe said:
Is that the one where they went and fetched the dead body from way out in the boonies, or is that the Jewish funeral where they were trying to find enough jews to do the prayer ceremony?

Neither, Rick was the one...:cry: :cry: :cry: hit by a satellite that crashed back to earth. The coffin had to be modified.

First or second season.

Last edited:
Northern Exposure probably qualifies as one of my top five all time favorites, maybe even number one... The writing during the first three or four seasons was really creative, if not comic [satire] genius. I can't really think of another show quite like it.

The first episode that I saw was where Chris and Bernard first met and discover they're half brothers. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I was completely hooked by the end of the show.

Where's Tom? I have been working my way through the Sopranos, I am on Season 5.

Just finished the 2nd (and last) season of Dead like Me, an interesting show if you haven't seen it.

Why no mention of Dr Who, Or Monty Python, many of the skits done in the Flying Circus shows have to be considered some of the funniest TV ever done.

John Cleese also did a series called "Fawlty Towers" Which is good stuff, the episode called Communication Problems, is John Cleese at his best.

I pretty much quit watching TV when I started a morning paper route in 1964, just lost the habit and have never got it back. I grew up in a NBC only town, so anything that showed on ABC or CBS was not available. When we visited my cousin we were able to see some shows on CBS (Rat Patrol or Combat?) But their reception was REALLY bad, more snow then show.

Currently I just check the History channel and Discovery Science, not much else catches my interest. I Often will get up a wonder off during commercials so sometimes it takes 3 or more settings to catch a complete show. Sometimes I'll catch the end of a show, then later some of the middle, and yet again to see the beginning.

Ivan Seeking said:
Northern Exposure probably qualifies as one of my top five all time favorites, maybe even number one... The writing during the first three or four seasons was really creative, if not comic [satire] genius. I can't really think of another show quite like it.
Six Feet Under is the same, if not even better. You can rent the first season on DVD. You'll be hooked. It's quirky, mystical, gritty, human, something like Quentin Tarantino fused with M. Night Shyamalan or the better David Lynch moments from Twin Peaks: excellent plots, and plot twists, with a surreal spice that crops up now and then each episode. It's by the same writer/director who made American Beauty.

It's about a family owned funeral home.

Watching in Norway, and now I like to watch:

Boston Public
Danse Feber
American Idol. MY GOD I laughed when that guy sang: "I shot the sheriff" 20 times over :rofldying:
Movies
That President series with Geena Davis: Commander i Chief? Doesn't look as realistic as The White House, but I like Geena Davis *G*
Animal Planet
Sex Inspectors *g*
Different interesting programs on the two cool major swedish channels.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
For me, the most memorable moment is easy; The moon landing, up until 911.
There's a good movie called the "The Dish" about the Parkes antenna in Australia used to receive and transmit the TV pictures from the Moon. Using the Parkes antenna was a matter of national prestige for Australia, so you had a small town having to coordinate visits from the Prime Minister and the American Ambassador.

Lots of signs of the times: from trying to calculate the location of the Columbia by slide rule to more mundane challenges, like how a local school band figures out what the US national anthem is and then has to learn it - without the internet, no less!

There is a slight technical inaccuracy in the movie, at least for Americans. The US saw Neil Armstrong's first steps on the Moon using video relayed from the Goldstone antenna in California, then switched to the higher quality picture being obtained by the Parkes antenna (Parkes was in the middle of a storm and was experiencing wind gusts that exceeded the design limitations of the antenna - it would have upset a lot of people if they suddenly lost the signal right as Armstrong was stepping onto the Moon. Evidently, the sounds and strain on the antenna depicted in the movie weren't an exaggeration.).

Back