Differential equations and physics proof problem

In summary, the work done from moving a position s0 to a position s1 is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy, where F(s) = ma and v = ds/dt. By converting the spatial integral into a time integral, we can evaluate it as m(v^2/2) from t0 to t1, using the upper and lower bounds of v instead of t. This is due to the fact that v and t are related through the displacement equation, v = ds/dt.
Alabaster

Homework Statement

The kinetic energy K of an object of mass m and velocity v is given by K=1/2mv2. Suppose an object of mass m, moving in a straight line, is acted upon by force F=F(s) that depends on position s. According to Newton's Second Law F(s)=ma. A is acceleration of the object.

Show that the work done from moving a position s0 to a position s1 is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy; that is, show that

Work=[itex]\int^{s1}_{s0}[/itex]F(s)ds=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex]

where v0=v(s0) and v1=v(s1) are the velocities of the objects at positions s0 and s1.

Homework Equations

I think all of the relevant equations are listed above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Work=[itex]\int^{s1}_{s0}[/itex]F(s)ds=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex]

Looking at the right side of the equation suggests that I take the integral and it splits into two, since it's a definite integral. So I should start with this Work=[itex]\int^{s1}_{s0}[/itex]F(s)ds and mess with it until it's the same as the right side of the equation.

This is where I get stuck. I asked a guy for help and he showed me
ma=m[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]
and then said "s" is a displacement vector s=vdt

He showed me the next step, which was =[itex]\int^{t1}_{t0}[/itex]Fvdt

I'm very confused how he got there, but he showed me the whole problem. This is it in its entirety.

Work=[itex]\int^{s1}_{s0}[/itex]F(s)ds

=[itex]\int^{t1}_{t0}[/itex]Fvdt

=[itex]\int^{t1}_{t0}[/itex]m[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}vdt[/itex]

=m[itex]\int^{t1}_{t0}[/itex]vdv

=m(v2/2) evaluated from t0 to t1

=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex]

If someone could explain what happened step-by-step, that would be amazing. I can follow some of the steps, but all the variable swapping is making this impossible for me to understand.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got your spatial integral bounds in the wrong order - you should go from s0 to s1.

So the first step is to note that F(s) = ma, as you have. Velocity is the derivative of position: v = ds/dt; a = dv/dt, so F(s) = m dv/dt. The first trick is that we need to convert this spatial integral into a time integral. Since v = ds/dt, v dt = ds, which is what allows you to make the change of variables that seems to have confused you.

You were correct, my bounds were wrong and I fixed them. And thank you for responding. This little bit you told me helps so much. It's late here, but I'll definitely take another look at this tomorrow.

I've pretty much gotten this figured out at this point. I still have a couple questions at the end, though.=m[itex]\int^{t1}_{t0}[/itex]vdv

After the dt's cancel each other, the problem has a interval with the upper and lower bounds of t, but there's a dv now that the integral works with. Does that effect the integration in any way? Should I now be evaluating with the bounds of v instead of t?

=m(v2/2) evaluated from t0 to t1

At this point, how do the t's fit into the problem? Normally you'd replace a variable with the upper bound and subtract it by the replaced lower bound of the same equation, but what do I do with the upper and lower bound variables on my integral symbol?

1. What is the purpose of using differential equations in physics?

Differential equations are used in physics to describe the relationship between physical quantities and how they change over time. They help us understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future state.

2. How are differential equations used to prove physical theories?

By setting up differential equations that represent the physical laws and boundary conditions of a system, we can solve for the variables and determine if the system behaves in accordance with the theory. If the solutions match the observed behavior, it provides evidence for the validity of the theory.

3. Can differential equations be used to model all physical phenomena?

No, differential equations are limited in their ability to model some complex systems, such as turbulent flow or chaotic systems. In these cases, other mathematical tools may be needed.

4. What are the main challenges in solving differential equations for physics problems?

The main challenges in solving differential equations for physics problems include finding the appropriate equations to represent the system, selecting suitable initial and boundary conditions, and finding analytical or numerical methods to solve the equations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of differential equations in physics?

Yes, differential equations are used in numerous real-life applications in physics, such as modeling the motion of celestial bodies, predicting the behavior of electrical circuits, and understanding the dynamics of fluids in pipes or channels.