Huygens & non-orbital re-entry speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in entry trajectories for Earth-based vehicles and the Huygens probe on Saturn. It also mentions the potential for a slower descent and the estimated speed needed for a direct falling entry into the atmosphere. There is also a formula provided for calculating the drop height needed for a specific entry velocity.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
So, I notice in the animations of Huygens, they seem to suggest the probe enters the atmosphere more or less vertically, as opposed to almost horizontally, as in the case of re-entry of Earth-based vehicles. While I grant the the animations are idealized, I thought that perhaps it might be possibly be doable.

Earth re-entry vehicles must decelerate from Mach25+, a velocity they needed to reach to reach in orbit in the first place. But Huygens was not in orbit, and theoretically could have made a relatively slow planetfall, thus it might not have need a huge aerobraking phase.

And then while watching another venerable science-fact show, Futurama, I saw Bender fall straight to Earth, and I thought to myself:

(self, I thought...)

How high above Earth would one have to start, to reach Mach 25 by the time one reached the outer atmosphere, if one were plunging straight down under gravity?

Or, alternately,

How high could one start from and still survive a direct, falling entry into the atmosphere? For this, we must assume some point in the descent when it can supposedly switch to conventional touchdown procedures, such as gliding or parachuting. I understand that Huygens was going about Mach 1.5 when it deployed its shute for a soft landing. We must aslo guess at the aerobraking effct of the atmosphere over only a hundred kilometres or so.

Any guesses?

Physics news on Phys.org
The escape velocity is [tex]\sqrt {2} [/tex] times the orbital velocity, so that is even more. I get V_escape for the Earth:

[tex] V_e = \sqrt {2 \mu /r} = \sqrt{\frac {2 \times 4E14} {6.3E6 }} = [/tex]

11000 m/sec.

For Saturn [tex] \mu [/tex] is much greater and there is an additional velocity coming from the trip from Earth so the approach velocity to the top of the atmosphere will be far higher.
There are some pretty smart guys in the astrodynamics threads who you can get a real education from. See https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Last edited:
Um. Appreciate all the effort, but. Meaningful answers to my questions would be distance values, not velocity values.

I have a formula:
(V^2)/2=GM (1/r1 - 1/r2)
Let GM be the constant for the Earth.
r1 is the height of the top of the atmosphere from the center of the Earth.
r2 is the drop height.
If R2 was infinite then V would be about 25000 mph. (the excape velocity)
Mach 25 I guess is 800 mph X 25 = 20000 mph.
So your drop height would be a pretty good distance out.

1. What is the Huygens probe?

The Huygens probe was a space probe that was part of the Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn. It was designed to study Saturn's moon, Titan, and was launched in 1997.

2. What is the non-orbital re-entry speed?

The non-orbital re-entry speed is the speed at which an object enters a planet's atmosphere, without being in orbit around the planet. This speed is typically higher than the orbital re-entry speed, as the object is not slowed down by the planet's gravity.

3. How fast did the Huygens probe enter Titan's atmosphere?

The Huygens probe entered Titan's atmosphere at a speed of approximately 6 kilometers per second (13,000 miles per hour). This was necessary to overcome the moon's thick atmosphere and reach the surface.

4. How did the Huygens probe slow down during re-entry?

The Huygens probe used a combination of its heat shield, parachutes, and retro rockets to slow down during re-entry. The heat shield protected the probe from the high temperatures generated by friction with the atmosphere, while the parachutes and retro rockets helped to further slow down the probe and guide it to the surface.

5. What was the purpose of the Huygens probe's non-orbital re-entry?

The non-orbital re-entry of the Huygens probe was necessary to reach the surface of Titan and gather data on the moon's atmosphere and surface. This data has provided valuable insights into the composition and conditions on Titan, and has helped scientists better understand the potential for life on this intriguing moon.