Voice Coil Selection: Metal Bellow Pressure System

In summary, the conversation was about designing a system to provide pulsatile pressure to a silicone tube using a linear voice coil actuator connected to a metal bellow. The speaker has made progress in designing the system and is now looking for help in selecting the right voice coil. They have been referred to BEI Kimco Magnetics and have some questions about determining the force due to load, load mass, acceleration, and deceleration times for a sinusoidal profile. The expert provides guidance on how to calculate these parameters and offers further assistance if needed.
design_engg
I hope this post finds everyone well!

I am currently trying to build up a system capable of providing pulsatile pressure (a sinusodial profile) to a silicone tube. In brief, the system consists of a linear voice coil actuator connected to a metal bellow.

At the moment, I have worked out most of system parameters, and am now needing to select the voice coil accordingly.

I have been referred to BEI Kimco Magnetics for a good voice coil selection, and an applications guide (http://www.beikimco.com/actuators_linear.php).

Although this has put me in the right direction, I still need some help with selecting the right voice coil for my application (as I really have no experience in this area).

Based on the BEI Kimco applications guide, and what I need to work out, I essentially need help to clarify the following:

1. Is it correct to assume that the Force Due to Load (a force component required to determine Frms of the voice coil) is equal to the required total force applied to metal bellow to achieve my system requirements?

2. How can I determine the “Load Mass”? Is there some way to convert between Force due to Load, and “Load Mass”

3. How to determine the acceleration (α) of the load mass for my system (knowing the stroke length of the voice coil is 2mm, and a required frequency of 40Hz)?

4. How to determine the acceleration and deceleration times for a sinusoidal profile?

I have attached a more detailed explanation of the help I need in a pdf :)

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks, and if more clarification is need, I'll be happy to give it!

Cheers,

-J

Attachments

• Voice Coil Selection.pdf
    858.4 KB · Views: 510
Engineering news on Phys.org
ohn

Hello John,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your project with us. It sounds like you have made good progress in designing your system so far. I am happy to provide some guidance on selecting the right voice coil for your application.

1. Yes, it is correct to assume that the Force Due to Load is equal to the required total force applied to the metal bellow. This force is necessary to achieve the desired pulsatile pressure in the silicone tube.

2. The Load Mass can be determined by using the equation F=ma, where F is the Force Due to Load and a is the acceleration of the load mass. You can also use the equation m=F/g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This will give you the mass of the load in kilograms (kg).

3. To determine the acceleration (α) of the load mass, you can use the equation α=4π²f²A, where f is the frequency (40Hz in your case) and A is the amplitude (stroke length of 2mm) of the vibration. This will give you the acceleration in m/s².

4. For a sinusoidal profile, the acceleration and deceleration times can be calculated using the equation t=1/f, where t is the time in seconds and f is the frequency in hertz. This will give you the time for one full cycle of acceleration and deceleration.

I hope this helps clarify the parameters you need to consider when selecting a voice coil for your system. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your project!

Scientist at [Your Organization]

What is a metal bellow pressure system?

A metal bellow pressure system is a type of actuator that uses a metal bellow, or flexible metal tube, to convert an electrical signal into mechanical motion. This system is commonly used in devices such as loudspeakers and linear actuators.

How does a metal bellow pressure system work?

A metal bellow pressure system works by applying a current to a coil of wire, also known as a voice coil, which is located within the metal bellow. This current generates a magnetic field, causing the voice coil to move and compress or expand the metal bellow, resulting in mechanical motion.

What factors should be considered when selecting a voice coil for a metal bellow pressure system?

When selecting a voice coil for a metal bellow pressure system, factors such as the desired force and displacement, the type of application, and the required frequency response should be taken into consideration. Other important factors include the size and shape of the metal bellow and the electrical requirements of the system.

What are the advantages of using a metal bellow pressure system?

One of the main advantages of using a metal bellow pressure system is its high force and displacement capabilities. It also offers a wide frequency response range and can operate at high speeds. Additionally, metal bellow pressure systems are compact, durable, and have a long lifespan.

What are some common applications of metal bellow pressure systems?

Metal bellow pressure systems are commonly used in devices that require precise and controlled mechanical motion, such as loudspeakers, linear actuators, and robotic systems. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, medical, and automotive for various applications such as valve control, positioning, and vibration control.