How do the laws of thermodynamics affect hydrogen on demand systems?

In summary, these systems supposedly allow a car to run on "water" instead of gasoline. However, these systems have been met with skepticism because they do not produce enough hydrogen to run the car and they are expensive to install.
october
I was wondering if someone could explain how the laws of thermodynamics apply to these so called hydrogen on demand systems and or how these laws govern the operations of these systems. Physics is my next college course but, I am not asking this for any assignments I have, just a personal interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you thinking of products designed to be fitted to a car to improve mpg or allow your car to "run on water"?

They use electricity from the car battery to turn water into hydrogen (and oxygen) which is then burned in the engine where it turns back into "water".

The law of conservation of energy says there should be no net gain. In practice the power gain in the engine will be more than offset buy losses (eg in the alternator that recharges the battery, or in the electrolysis of the water).

However some people claim that the hydrogen doesn't just turn back into water in the engine. They claim it allows the fuel to burn more efficiently.

The fact that car manufacturers don't fit such systems as standard is proof they don't work.

It's also interesting to compare the rate of hydrogen production from these devices with the rate at which a carb sucks in air.

yeah, that was something else I didn't get. The rate a carb sucks in air. I have a 600 holley on my vehicle. It sucks in 600 cubic feet of air a minute. That's a lot of air, (I hope that's right, cubic feet and not inches) Either way, I have never seen an on demand system that could keep up with that. I did look at the CNG systems ford has. They use a specially designed tank that holds CNG at 3600 psi. In order to be efficient in running the vehicle, it has to be regulated down to 125 psi going into the engine. It also requires a special fuel rail (modification)attachment. For the good system you can set aside about 12000 dollars too. I would think the same would be true for the hydro gas too wouldn't it? Also in those "on-demand" systems, are they using both pure hydrogen gas and oxygen? Pure oxygen is pretty volatile itself. By their self both of those gases are explosive. If they are right then they should have two separate tanks, one to collect the hydrogen and one for the oxygen? I know pure hydrogen is as volatile as gasoline but, I've heard pure oxygen is worse. Sounds like dangerous stuff if the right precautions are not taken to control, compress and regulate these systems. Could explain all the mis-haps I've seen too...But hey they're trying. Maybe they need to start with re-designing the inefficient engine they are putting these on, that are designed to burn liquid fuel and not gas.

Last edited:

1. What is a hydrogen on demand system?

A hydrogen on demand system is a device that produces hydrogen gas on demand, typically through the process of electrolysis. This means that the system uses electricity to split water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen gas, which can then be used as fuel.

2. How does a hydrogen on demand system work?

A hydrogen on demand system works by using electricity to separate water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas. This is typically done using an electrolyzer, which contains electrodes that are connected to a power source. When electricity is passed through the electrodes, it causes a chemical reaction that splits the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas.

3. What are the benefits of using a hydrogen on demand system?

There are several benefits of using a hydrogen on demand system. First, it produces hydrogen gas only when needed, making it a more efficient and cost-effective alternative to storing large amounts of hydrogen. Additionally, using hydrogen as a fuel source produces zero emissions, making it a more environmentally friendly option. Finally, hydrogen is a renewable resource, meaning it can be produced using renewable sources of energy such as solar or wind power.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a hydrogen on demand system?

One potential drawback of using a hydrogen on demand system is the initial cost of the system itself. Depending on the size and complexity of the system, it can be quite expensive to install. Additionally, there are currently limited options for refueling hydrogen gas, which may make it less convenient for everyday use.

5. What are some potential applications for hydrogen on demand systems?

Hydrogen on demand systems have a wide range of potential applications. They can be used as a fuel source for vehicles, powering everything from cars to airplanes. They can also be used in industrial settings, such as for powering forklifts or other equipment. Additionally, hydrogen on demand systems can be used in homes and buildings for heating and electricity generation.