Quick question. How do you change the bounds of integration if using sec?

In summary: No the upper bound is pi/3 the lower bound is zero(the number on the bottom of the integral sign is zero). the equation is ∫ dx/ (x^2 times sqrt(4-x^2))So you would have to use trig and U substitution( I think)
randoreds
And in general, always been bad at it.

If original bounds are ∫pi/3 to 0 and I am changing the bounds because I'm U-substituting.
My subtitution is u=secx

so is it when cos = pi/3 and 0 or am I wrong?
so the new bound would be from pi/2 to pi/3..?

Physics news on Phys.org
the lower bound is [itex]x=\pi/3[/itex] right? And [itex]u=\sec(x)[/itex] so the lower bound after the u-substitution will be [itex]u=\sec(\pi/3)[/itex] and similarly the upper bound will be [itex]u=\sec(0)[/itex]

just plug in the limits to the substitutition.

but usually you do not substitute a sec function, usually you would substitute a simpler function.

gd luck.

Last edited:
Mentallic said:
the lower bound is [itex]x=\pi/3[/itex] right? And [itex]u=\sec(x)[/itex] so the lower bound after the u-substitution will be [itex]u=\sec(\pi/3)[/itex] and similarly the upper bound will be [itex]u=\sec(0)[/itex]

No the upper bound is pi/3 the lower bound is zero(the number on the bottom of the integral sign is zero). the equation is ∫ dx/ (x^2 times sqrt(4-x^2))
So you would have to use trig and U substitution( I think)

with trig sub I got 1/4 ∫csc^2theta

so you got to change the bounds. Before you plug anything in.
u = sec(pi/3) My question was more how do I know what that is. because you can easily find sin, cos with unit circle. but I'm confused how to do it with sec and csc.

because I have no idea when sec = pi/3 and don't really remember how to figure it out ; /

because once you change the limits you can just integrate it. which would lead to -1/4 cot

then you could just plug in those values and find the answer

randoreds said:
No the upper bound is pi/3 the lower bound is zero(the number on the bottom of the integral sign is zero). the equation is ∫ dx/ (x^2 times sqrt(4-x^2))
So you would have to use trig and U substitution( I think)
So with that problem, what did you make your U-sub?

randoreds said:
u = sec(pi/3) My question was more how do I know what that is. because you can easily find sin, cos with unit circle. but I'm confused how to do it with sec and csc.

[tex]\sec(x)=\frac{1}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

[tex]\csc(x)=\frac{1}{\sin(x)}[/tex]

[tex]\cot(x)=\frac{1}{\tan(x)}[/tex]

So then what is [itex]\sec(\pi/3)[/itex] ?

randoreds said:
because I have no idea when sec = pi/3 and don't really remember how to figure it out ; /
You're not looking for when "sec" = pi/3, you're looking for sec(pi/3).

randoreds said:
because once you change the limits you can just integrate it. which would lead to -1/4 cot

then you could just plug in those values and find the answer
So you were fine with finding specific values of cot(x)?

1. How do you change the bounds of integration when using sec?

The bounds of integration can be changed by using the substitution method. First, rewrite the integral in terms of the substitution variable, u, where u = sec(x). Then, substitute the new bounds in terms of u and solve for the limits of integration.

2. Can you explain the substitution method for changing the bounds of integration?

The substitution method is a way to change the variables in an integral to make it easier to solve. To change the bounds of integration when using sec, first rewrite the integral in terms of the substitution variable, u, where u = sec(x). Then, substitute the new bounds in terms of u and solve for the limits of integration.

3. Is it always necessary to change the bounds of integration when using sec?

No, it is not always necessary to change the bounds of integration when using sec. If the given bounds of integration are already in terms of sec(x), then no change is needed.

4. Can you provide an example of changing the bounds of integration when using sec?

Sure, for the integral ∫0π/4 sec(x) dx, we can use the substitution u = sec(x). This gives us the integral ∫1√2 u du. We can then solve for the new bounds of integration by plugging in the original bounds of x = 0 and x = π/4 into the substitution u = sec(x), giving us the new bounds of u = 1 and u = √2.

5. Are there any other methods for changing the bounds of integration when using sec?

Yes, there are other methods for changing the bounds of integration when using sec, such as using trigonometric identities or partial fraction decomposition. However, the substitution method is the most straightforward and commonly used method.