Mol Exercise: Solving the Knallgas Equation

• Thread starter Lindsayyyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation is about a homework task regarding the "Knallgas" equation. The task includes two reaction equations and asks for the correct one based on experimental observations, the amount of oxygen needed for an optimal reaction, and the energy released in the reaction. The suggested solution involves conducting experiments, using molar ratios, and applying the law of conservation of mass and the formula P=dE/dt.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everybody,

sorry for my sloppy english. I have to translate the task so if you don't understand something just tell me and I try to rephrase it.

Homework Statement

The exersice is about the "Knallgas" equation. Two reaction euqations are given:

[tex] 2H + O \xrightarrow \ 2H_2O +\Delta E[/tex]
and
[tex] 2H_{2} + O_{2} \xrightarrow \ 2H_{2}O +2\Delta E[/tex]

The energy which is released in this equation is: dE=285.8kJ

a) Decide which reaction equation is the right one. The decision should be based on experimental obseravtions.

b) How much grams oxygen is needed for an optimal reaction when I have 0.0038 cm³ hydrogen?

c) How much energy is released? How long could someone use that energy to run a hairdryer with it (P=1,2 kW)

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Well, I think I can discuss that problem using the theorem from Avogrado. The ratio is the same in both equations. But in my opinion the task is missing a value for the volume of the water. But I say that the 2nd equation is right (That's what someone would find in the experiment)

b) I searched for the density of H2

[tex] \rho \cdot V=m [/tex]

I get m=3.42*10^-4 kg
also
[tex] \frac {m(H_2)} {m(O_2)}= \frac 1 8[/tex]

Now I just have to multiply the mass of H2 times 8 in order to get the mass from O2. I get m(O2)=2.73*10^-3kg

c) I use the law of conservation of mass. The whole mass of water equals m(H2)+m(O2). I searched for the molar mass of water in order to calculate how much mol I have. Afterwards I calculate the energy the following way:

E= E(given)*mol

and for the last task I used the formula: P=dE/dt

Is my solution right? Are there other possibilities to solve it? I'm uncertain because I had to look up some stuff like molecular weight, density etc. But I don't know if there's another way

Thank you for your help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Hello,

Thank you for your post and for asking for clarification regarding the task. I will try to help you with the questions as best as I can.

a) In order to determine which reaction equation is correct, we need to look at the experimental observations. This means that we need to conduct experiments to see which equation accurately represents the reaction. This can be done by measuring the amount of reactants and products before and after the reaction, and comparing it to the predicted values from the equations. This will help us determine which equation is correct based on experimental evidence.

b) To calculate the amount of oxygen needed for an optimal reaction, we need to use the molar ratio between hydrogen and oxygen. This means that for every 2 moles of hydrogen, we need 1 mole of oxygen. Since we have 0.0038 cm³ of hydrogen, we need to convert it to moles and then use the molar ratio to determine the amount of oxygen needed. This will give us the optimal amount of oxygen needed for the reaction.

c) To calculate the energy released in the reaction, we need to use the given value of 285.8 kJ and the number of moles of water produced in the reaction. This will give us the total energy released. To determine how long this energy can run a hairdryer, we need to use the formula P = dE/dt, where P is power, dE is the energy released, and dt is the time. We can rearrange this formula to solve for dt, which will give us the time the energy can run a hairdryer for.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the Knallgas equation?

The Knallgas equation is a chemical equation that describes the reaction between hydrogen gas and oxygen gas to form water. It is also known as the water-forming reaction or the explosive reaction due to the large amount of energy released during the reaction.

2. What is the purpose of solving the Knallgas equation?

Solving the Knallgas equation helps us understand the relationship between the reactants (hydrogen and oxygen) and the products (water) in a chemical reaction. It also allows us to calculate the quantities of reactants and products involved and predict the outcome of the reaction.

3. How is the Knallgas equation solved?

The Knallgas equation is solved using the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. By rearranging the equation and substituting the known values, we can calculate the unknown quantities of reactants and products.

4. What are some practical applications of the Knallgas equation?

The Knallgas equation has several practical applications, including in the production of water and energy. It is also used in the design of fuel cells, which convert chemical energy into electrical energy. Additionally, the equation is used in the production of rocket fuel for space exploration.

5. Are there any limitations to the Knallgas equation?

Yes, the Knallgas equation assumes that the reaction takes place under ideal conditions, such as constant temperature and pressure. In reality, reactions may occur under different conditions, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated values. Other factors, such as impurities in the reactants or incomplete reactions, can also impact the results.