Time measured by free-fall observer near object?

In summary: However, the key point here is that we are considering the case of a co-moving observer in a flat spacetime. As a result, the spatial coordinates (r, theta, phi) are not fixed, they change with time as the universe expands. This means that the proper time interval, dτ, is not the same as the cosmological time, t. In fact, the proper time interval is related to the cosmological time through the scale factor a(t), which represents the expansion of the universe. So while the spatial velocity may be zero, the time component (dt/dτ) is not necessarily equal to 1. This is why the calculation using the Friedmann-Walker metric gives a different result for the proper time interval,
johne1618
What is the time measured by an observer who is in free-fall near an object?

The Schwarzschild metric is given by:

[itex] \large c^2 d\tau^2 = (1 - \frac{r_s}{r}) c^2 dt^2 - ( 1 - \frac{r_s}{r})^{-1} dr^2 - r^2(d\theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2) [/itex]

Now for an observer at a fixed position one uses:

[itex]dr = d\theta = d\phi = 0[/itex]

To give an element of proper time as:

[itex] \large d\tau = \sqrt{1 - \frac{r_s}{r}} dt [/itex]

This is a time interval experienced by an observer who is stationary in the object's gravitational field.

But I want the time measured by a free-fall observer so I can't assume that his position is fixed.

Perhaps this is how to do the calculation.

I work out the world line for a radial light beam using:

[itex] d\tau = d\theta = d\phi = 0 [/itex]

Substituting into the above Schwarzschild metric I find the worldline of a lightbeam given by

[itex] \large (1 - \frac{r_s}{r}) \ c \ dt = dr [/itex]

Now a free-fall observer experiences a flat spacetime locally. He must use a time element [itex]d\tau[/itex] such that a light beam's worldline is diagonal so that

[itex] \large c \ d\tau = dr [/itex]

Therefore his time element must be:

[itex] \large d\tau = (1 - \frac{r_s}{r}) \ dt [/itex]

Does this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
The four velocity of the LeMaitre free-faller is
[tex]
U=\left(\frac{r}{r-2\,m}, -\frac{\sqrt{2}\,\sqrt{m}}{\sqrt{r}} , 0 , 0\right)
[/tex]
which agrees with your result.

Mentz114 said:
The four velocity of the LeMaitre free-faller is
[tex]
U=\left(\frac{r}{r-2\,m}, -\frac{\sqrt{2}\,\sqrt{m}}{\sqrt{r}} , 0 , 0\right)
[/tex]
which agrees with your result.

Great - thanks!

I'm also interested in calculating the correct time interval we should use with the Friedmann Walker metric

[itex] \large ds^2 = -dt^2 + a^2(t) [ \frac{dr^2}{1-kr^2} + r^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)] [/itex]

As co-moving observers we are also in free-fall.

Thus using [itex]ds = d\theta = d\phi = 0[/itex]

The worldline of a radial light beam is given by

[itex] \large \frac{dt}{a(t)} = \frac{dr}{1-kr^2} [/itex]

Thus the interval of proper time [itex]d\tau[/itex] for a co-moving observer with a locally flat spacetime (assuming k is small) is given by

[itex] \large d\tau = \frac{dt}{a(t)} [/itex]

which I believe is called an interval of conformal time.

I think many people believe we should use cosmological time [itex]t[/itex] as our proper time but according to the above reasoning that is not correct because we are in free-fall (in a local inertial frame) and therefore our proper time is conformal time.

Last edited:
I don't think that's right. If you divide the line interval by dτ2 and set the spatial velocities to zero you get dt/dτ = 1 for this co-moving frame.

Mentz114 said:
I don't think that's right. If you divide the line interval by dτ2 and set the spatial velocities to zero you get dt/dτ = 1 for this co-moving frame.

Could you elaborate a little more?

Last edited:
I can't eleborate without doing the simple algebra and tex'ing it up which I don't have time for. Get a pencil, paper and eraser and do as I suggested. If you have a problem then you could ask about specifics. Remember that ds=dτ.

Last edited:
Ok - this is what I think you did.

For simplicity starting with the FRW metric with k=0 and only radial spatial component:

[itex] \large d\tau^2 = dt^2 - a(t)^2 dr^2 [/itex]

divide through by [itex]d\tau^2[/itex]

[itex] \large 1 = \frac{dt^2}{d\tau^2} - a(t)^2 \frac{dr^2}{d\tau^2} [/itex]

For a co-moving frame spatial velocity is zero so

[itex] \large \frac{dr}{d\tau} = 0 [/itex]

Therefore

[itex] \large \frac{dt}{d\tau} = 1 [/itex]

Is this right?

Your calculation is correct.

1. How does time pass differently for a free-fall observer near an object?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by gravity. This means that as an object's gravitational pull increases, time will pass more slowly for an observer near that object compared to someone further away.

2. Is the effect of gravity on time measurable?

Yes, the effect of gravity on time has been proven through experiments such as the Pound-Rebka experiment. In this experiment, scientists measured the difference in time between two clocks, one at the top of a tower and one at the bottom, and found that the clock at the bottom ran slightly slower due to the gravitational pull of the Earth.

3. Can time be completely stopped by extreme gravity?

No, time cannot be completely stopped by gravity. Time can only slow down but not come to a complete stop, even under the most extreme gravitational conditions. This is because as gravity increases, so does the curvature of space-time, causing time to slow down but never stop completely.

4. Does time dilation only occur near massive objects?

No, time dilation can occur in any situation where there is a difference in gravitational potential between two points. This means that time dilation can also occur near objects that are not necessarily massive, but have a strong gravitational pull due to their density or proximity.

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are very small. For example, GPS satellites have to account for time dilation in their calculations in order to provide accurate location information. Additionally, astronauts in space experience a slight time dilation due to the lower gravitational pull in orbit.