Net magnetic field in wires

In summary: B_{total} = B_1 + B_2In summary, the conversation was about calculating the net magnetic field at different points between two wires carrying opposite currents. The formula used was B = (4pi x 10^-7)(I)/(2pi)(p), with p being the distance between the wire and the point of interest. One person was having trouble with their notation and another pointed out that their B field for the wire on the right had a factor of one half that was not necessary. It was also mentioned that for the main question, the total B field would be the sum of the individual fields from each wire.
waywardtigerlily
Ok, I have been working on this problem for about 2 hours now, and I still can't get the right answer..could someome help me?

two wires carry currents of I=5.12A in opposite directions and are separated by a distance of d0=9.33cm. (the wire on the left has I going up and the one on the right is going down) Calculate the net magnetic field at a point midway between the wires. Use the direction out of the page as the positive direction and into the page as the negative direction in your answer.

B. Calculate teh net magnetic field at point p1- that is 9.32 cm to the right of the wire on the right.

C. calculate the net magnetic field at point p2- that is 19.3 cm to the left of the wire on the left.

To calculate B. I am using:

BR=uoI
2pi (p1/2)

BR= (4pi x 10^-7)(5.12)
(2Pi)(.0466)

= 2.19742 x 10^-5 T

BL=uoI
2pi(p1+do)

BL= (4pi x 10^-7)(5.12)
2Pi(.1865)

Bnet= BR-BL
= 1.65 x 10 ^-5 T

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? I assume for C you would use the same procedure and for the main question you would just use Bnet= B1+B2
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
just want to net u no, your notasion is hard to folow, plis don't write it dat way next time...
[tex] B_{right} = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi p_1} [/tex]
and
[tex] B_{left} = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi (p_1+d_0)} [/tex]

[tex] B_{total} = B_{right} - B_{left} [/tex]
since [itex] B_{right} [/itex] and [itex] B_{left} [/itex] have different direction

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? I assume for C you would use the same procedure and for the main question you would just use Bnet= B1+B2
Thanks!
your [itex] B_{right} [/itex] have a factor of one half at the bottom for some reason... is that because that is the formula for part a ?
and yes, in general, the total B field is the sum of its component

It looks like you are on the right track with your calculations. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you are using the correct distance for p1 and p2. In your calculations, you have used 0.0466 m for p1, but it should be 0.0465 m since it is halfway between the wires. Similarly, for p2, you have used 0.1865 m, but it should be 0.193 m since it is 19.3 cm to the left of the wire on the left.

Other than that, your calculations and method seem correct. Just make sure to double check your distances and units and you should get the correct answer. Good luck!

1. What is a net magnetic field in wires?

A net magnetic field in wires refers to the overall magnetic field that is present in a wire due to the flow of electric current. This magnetic field is created by the movement of electrons through the wire and can be measured using a magnetic field sensor.

2. How is the net magnetic field in wires calculated?

The net magnetic field in wires can be calculated using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current flow and the curled fingers indicate the direction of the magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field is also dependent on the amount of current flowing through the wire.

3. What factors affect the net magnetic field in wires?

The net magnetic field in wires is affected by the amount of current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the material of the wire. The direction of the current flow also plays a role in determining the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the net magnetic field in wires impact electronic devices?

The net magnetic field in wires can interfere with electronic devices and cause unwanted disruptions or malfunctions. This is why wires carrying high currents are often shielded to minimize the effects of the magnetic field on nearby devices.

5. Can the net magnetic field in wires be controlled?

Yes, the net magnetic field in wires can be controlled by using materials with low magnetic permeability, such as copper, for the wire. Additionally, using a twisted pair configuration for wires can also help cancel out the magnetic fields created by the individual wires.