Argument on factors determining a game's outcome

In summary: Man U and Milan tonightconclusion : i do not know the outcome of the game between Man U and Milan tonightIn summary, the conclusion of the argument is that the outcome of the game between Man U and Milan tonight is unknown.
mousesgr
premise : i do not know all the factors determining a game's outcome

conclusion : i do not know the outcome of the game between Man U and Milan tonight

i want to ask
1. What kind of argument is the above?
(is it a deductive argument?)

2. How good it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a minor premiss: "I cannot know the outcome without knowing all the determining factors".

Tournesol said:
You need a minor premiss: "I cannot know the outcome without knowing all the determining factors".
F: I don't know all the factors determining a game's outcome.
O: I don't know a game's outcome.
G: I don't know all the factors determining the outcome of the game between Man U and Milan tonight.
P: I don't know the outcome of the game between Man U and Milan tonight.
[(F -> O), F, therefore P] is not valid. Neither are [(F -> O), G, therefore P] or [(F -> P), G, therefore P]. [(F -> P), F, therefore P] and [(G -> P), G, therefore P] are both valid, but (F -> P) isn't true.

If it was meant to be a syllogism, there are bigger problems. For starters, the group of things known appears in all three propositions, so the argument is not valid.

mousesgr said:
i want to ask
1. What kind of argument is the above?
(is it a deductive argument?)

2. How good it is?
1) It is incomplete (and invalid), as Tournesol pointed out. An argument is deductive if the argument being "correct" (whatever standards are set for correctness) guarantees that the argument's conclusion is "correct". Usually, a deductive argument is "correct" or "valid" if it is impossible for all its premises to be true while its conclusion is false. IOW, the truth of the premises guarantees the truth of the conclusion.
2) It's invalid, so not good. But it's not hopeless; If you can add the needed premises, you can make it valid.

In case someone who knows comes along, I'll tack on a question.
premise : i do not know all the factors determining a game's outcome
conclusion : i do not know the outcome of the game between Man U and Milan tonight
Will the following translation work? Let "Kxy" mean "x knows y", "Fxy" mean "x is a factor determining the outcome of y", and "Oxy" mean "x is the outcome of y".

1. What are the main factors that determine a game's outcome?

The main factors that determine a game's outcome can vary depending on the specific game being played, but some common factors include player skill, strategy, luck, and external factors such as weather or equipment.

2. How do player skill and strategy affect a game's outcome?

Player skill and strategy can greatly impact a game's outcome. Skilled players are more likely to make strategic decisions that give them an advantage over their opponents. In team games, teamwork and coordination among players can also play a significant role in determining the outcome.

3. Can luck play a role in a game's outcome?

Yes, luck can play a role in a game's outcome. Random events or chance can affect the outcome of a game, such as a lucky shot in a game of basketball or a critical dice roll in a board game. However, luck is often balanced out by player skill and strategy over the course of a game.

4. How much do external factors, such as weather or equipment, affect a game's outcome?

External factors can have a significant impact on a game's outcome. For outdoor sports, weather conditions can greatly affect the performance of players and the overall outcome of the game. In games that involve equipment, the quality and condition of the equipment can also play a role in determining the outcome.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence a game's outcome?

There can be many other factors that can influence a game's outcome, such as team dynamics, player injuries, referee decisions, and even crowd support. These factors may not have a direct impact on the gameplay, but they can affect the morale and mindset of players, which can ultimately influence the outcome of the game.