Argand Diagram: Difference in argument = pi/4

In summary, the locus of points in the argand diagram defined by z is a circle with a center at (-1,0) and a radius of 1, with an angle of pi/4 subtended from each point on the circle to -1 and 1. This can be found by calculating the tangent of the difference between the angles arg(z-1) and arg(z+1).
unscientific

Homework Statement

Sketch the locus of points in the argand diagram defined by z:

arg (z-1) - arg(z+1) = ∏/4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By simple geometry i worked out that at a point in the x-y plane, the angle subtended from that point to -1 and 1 must be = pi/4.

For a circle I know this must be = pi/2. But for pi/4 I have no clue..

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the locus of points in the argand diagram defined by z:

arg (z-1) - arg(z+1) = ∏/4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By simple geometry i worked out that at a point in the x-y plane, the angle subtended from that point to -1 and 1 must be = pi/4.

If ##z=x+yi## and you call ##\theta_1=arg(z-1)##and ##\theta_2=arg(z+1)## what happens if you calculate ##\tan(\theta_1-\theta_2)##?

unscientific said:

I know that it's a different circle, but that's for me you know and you to find out after you put some work in on this. How do you know pi/2 defines a circle? Apply the same ideas.

1. What is an Argand Diagram?

An Argand Diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers on a two-dimensional plane. It consists of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis, with the origin at the center. The real part of a complex number is plotted on the x-axis, while the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis.

2. How is the difference in argument calculated on an Argand Diagram?

The difference in argument on an Argand Diagram is calculated by finding the angle between two complex numbers. This is done by drawing a line from the origin to each complex number and measuring the angle between these lines.

3. What does a difference in argument of pi/4 mean on an Argand Diagram?

A difference in argument of pi/4 on an Argand Diagram means that the two complex numbers have an angle of 45 degrees between them. This indicates that they are separated by an angle of pi/4 radians on the complex plane.

4. How does the difference in argument affect the magnitude of complex numbers on an Argand Diagram?

The difference in argument has no direct effect on the magnitude of complex numbers on an Argand Diagram. However, it can provide information about the relationship between two complex numbers, as well as their distance from the origin.

5. How is the Argand Diagram used in mathematics and science?

The Argand Diagram is used in mathematics and science to visualize complex numbers and their properties. It is especially useful in understanding the geometric properties of complex numbers, such as multiplication, division, and roots. It is also used in fields such as physics and engineering to represent electrical currents and waves.