Understanding the Summation of Infinite Series: Is it True for i and j?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the expression ##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} A_{i,j}B_{i,j}## is equal to ##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j} \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}B_{i,j}##. The expert summarizer explains that the two expressions are not equal because the indices ##i## and ##j## are incremented independently. The conversation then delves into further examples and explanations to support this understanding.
yungman
[tex]\hbox {Is }\;\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} A_{i,j}B_{i,j}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j} \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}B_{i,j}\;\hbox{?}[/tex]

[tex]\hbox {Is }\;\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \;\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j}B_{i,j}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} A_{i,j}B_{i,j}\;\hbox{?}[/tex]

I think it is because even though the right side has two summation of ##i## , but both increment at the same time. So is ##j##. therefore the result is the same.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
[tex]\hbox {Is }\;\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} A_{i,j}B_{i,j}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j} \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}B_{i,j}\;\hbox{?}[/tex]
Is ##a_1 b_1 + a_2 b_2 = (a_1 +a_2) (b_1 + b_2)##?

yungman said:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \;\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j}B_{i,j}[/tex]
This is not correct. You cannot have two summations over the same index.

Thanks for the reply, but if you keep j=1, i=1,2,3...

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} A_{i,j}B_{i,j}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j} \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}B_{i,j}=A_{1,1}B_{1,1}+A_{2,1}B_{2,1}+A_{3,1}B_{3,1}+...[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \;\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j}B_{i,j}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} A_{i,j}B_{i,j}\;=A_{1,1}B_{1,1}+A_{2,1}B_{2,1}+A_{3,1}B_{3,1}+...[/tex]
If you start increment j, the series just repeat with j=2,3,4...

Because ##i## increment all at the same time. There should be no difference. This is not like trying to make

##a_1 b_1 + a_2 b_2 = (a_1 +a_2) (b_1 + b_2)##

yungman said:
$$\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j} \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}B_{i,j}$$
The way I read this is
$$
\left( \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j} \right) \left( \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}B_{i,j} \right)
$$
which means that addition and multiplication have been inverted, which is not correct.

yungman said:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \;\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j}B_{i,j}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} A_{i,j}B_{i,j}\;=A_{1,1}B_{1,1}+A_{2,1}B_{2,1}+A_{3,1}B_{3,1}+...[/tex]
Because ##i## increment all at the same time.

Again, you cannot have two summations with the same index. It doens't make sense.

yungman said:
Thanks for the reply, but if you keep j=1, i=1,2,3...

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} A_{i,j}B_{i,j}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}A_{i,j} \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}B_{i,j}=A_{1,1}B_{1,1}+A_{2,1}B_{2,1}+A_{3,1}B_{3,1}+...[/tex]

Because ##i## increment all at the same time. There should be no difference. This is not like trying to make

##a_1 b_1 + a_2 b_2 = (a_1 +a_2) (b_1 + b_2)##

No, you are wrong: it is exactly like that. In fact, if you take ##A_{11} = a_1, A_{12}= a_2, B_{11} = b_1, B_{12} = b_2## and all other ##A_{ij}, B_{ij} = 0,## then you are claiming that ##\sum_i\sum_j A_{ij}B_{ij} = a_1 b_1 + a_2 b_2## equals ##\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij} \sum_l \sum_m B_{lm} = (a_1+a_2)(b_1+b_2),## and that is false.

Ray Vickson said:
No, you are wrong: it is exactly like that. In fact, if you take ##A_{11} = a_1, A_{12}= a_2, B_{11} = b_1, B_{12} = b_2## and all other ##A_{ij}, B_{ij} = 0,## then you are claiming that ##\sum_i\sum_j A_{ij}B_{ij} = a_1 b_1 + a_2 b_2## equals ##\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij} \sum_l \sum_m B_{lm} = (a_1+a_2)(b_1+b_2),## and that is false.

I really don't get this, you are using ##\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij}## on the first and ##\sum_l \sum_m## on the second one. I am using ##\sum_i \sum_j ## for both. The two sum cannot be independently incremented. When ##i## incremented by one, both has to be incremented by 1. Using what you say that ##i=1## and ##j##=1,2 only all other are zeros.

[tex]\hbox{For }i=1,j=1,\;\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij} \sum_i \sum_j B_{ij}=\left(\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij}\right) \left(\sum_i \sum_j B_{ij}\right)=A_{1}B_{1} [/tex]

[tex]\hbox{For }i=1,j=2,\;\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij} \sum_i \sum_j B_{ij}=\left(\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij}\right) \left(\sum_i \sum_j B_{ij}\right)=A_{2}B_{2} [/tex]

So the sum will be ##a_1b_1+a_2b_2##

Last edited:
yungman said:
I really don't get this, you are using ##\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij}## on the first and ##\sum_l \sum_m## on the second one. I am using ##\sum_i \sum_j ## for both. The two sum cannot be independently incremented. When ##i## incremented by one, both has to be incremented by 1. Using what you say that ##i=1## and ##j##=1,2 only all other are zeros.[tex]\hbox{For }i=1,j=1,\;\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij} \sum_i \sum_j B_{ij}=\left(\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij}\right) \left(\sum_i \sum_j B_{ij}\right)=A_{1}B_{1} [/tex]

[tex]\hbox{For }i=1,j=2,\;\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij} \sum_i \sum_j B_{ij}=\left(\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij}\right) \left(\sum_i \sum_j B_{ij}\right)=A_{2}B_{2} [/tex]

So the sum will be ##a_1b_1+a_2b_2##

It doesn't work that way, you could even have this:

##\sum\limits_{i=0}^\infty \sum\limits_{i=0}^i A_i##

which would mean, A_0 + (A_0 + A_1) + (A_0 + A_1 + A_2) + ...

My point, each sigma has its own variable that it creates just for that summation.

thanks everybody. So I cannot count on ##i## and ##j## all increment at the same time. I have to treat is as if they are independent between the two summation?

Thanks

This is the link of the real question about summation. I just don't know how the book can move the summation inside:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=711644

Since that is a different problem from this, I posted it as new thread. But where I got stuck is the same.

I've had a look at the other thread and I don't see anywhere the same indices used at the same time.

1. What is the summation of an infinite series?

The summation of an infinite series is the sum of all the terms in the series, where the number of terms is infinite. It is represented by the symbol "∑" and can be written as ∑ an = a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an + ...

2. How is the summation of an infinite series different from a finite series?

A finite series has a fixed number of terms, while an infinite series has an infinite number of terms. This means that the summation of an infinite series can only be approximated, while the summation of a finite series can be calculated exactly.

3. What is the role of "i" and "j" in the summation of an infinite series?

"i" and "j" are commonly used as indices in the summation notation for an infinite series. They represent the position of each term in the series and can take on different values based on the specific series being evaluated.

4. Can the summation of an infinite series be true for different values of "i" and "j"?

Yes, the summation of an infinite series can be true for different values of "i" and "j". This is because the values of "i" and "j" do not affect the overall concept of the summation of an infinite series, but rather represent the position of each term in the series.

5. How can I determine if a given infinite series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests, such as the ratio test, root test, and comparison test, that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. These tests compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series in order to make a determination.