G. 't Hooft: Holographic Mapping of SM onto Black Hole Horizon, Part I

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, Geraldus 't Hooft explains the information puzzle in relation to Hawking radiation and the horizon. He says that the information never actually falls into the hole and is instead stored immediately. He also says that progress is being made in understanding 8piG.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
in case there is interest, this just came out:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0504120
The holographic mapping of the Standard Model onto the black hole horizon, Part I: Abelian vector field, scalar field and BEH Mechanism
G. 't Hooft
13 pages, no figures

"Interactions between outgoing Hawking particles and ingoing matter are determined by gravitational forces and Standard Model interactions. In particular the gravitational interactions are responsible for the unitarity of the scattering against the horizon, as dictated by the holographic principle, but the Standard Model interactions also contribute, and understanding their effects is an important first step towards a complete understanding of the horizon's dynamics. The relation between in- and outgoing states is described in terms of an operator algebra. In this paper, the first of a series, we describe the algebra induced on the horizon by U(1) vector fields and scalar fields, including the case of an Englert-Brout-Higgs mechanism, and a more careful consideration of the transverse vector field components."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!
(step right up, children and ladies first, gentlemen, be gentlemen. you have already paid the admission, and everyone will get a chance to look, so please don't press to the front of the crowd.
HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!
(step right up, ...

Thanks Marcus. I wish I knew how you do that. Off to work tonight, but I am excited to have a look at the new paper. Thanks! and, Hurray!

nc

nightcleaner said:
HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!
(step right up, children and ladies first, gentlemen, be gentlemen. you have already paid the admission, and everyone will get a chance to look, so please don't press to the front of the crowd.
HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!
(step right up, ...

Thanks Marcus. I wish I knew how you do that. ...

nc

it is just being volunteer librarian for the group, if you have time and inclination you could take over part of the job. I will say that a year or two experience has taught me the importance of being selective. only post a new preprint once and a while and only if it seems really special for some reason, otherwise we get clogged with new stuff. I am glad you are looking forward to what 't Hooft has to say, he is famous and brilliant so it was a no-brainer to flag this one, and the topic seems interesting too.

anyone else who wants to sift thru the preprints each day instead of me is welcome. Meteor and wolram both do this sporadically and others, maybe chronos, but I can't remember who-all, for sure. Self-adjoint often finds goodies.

BTW I won't be doing any discussion of this----selfAdj and others can do that better in this case, but I will make one or two small remarks:

he resolves the "BH information puzzle" by saying that the information contained in matter falling into the hole puts its imprint immediately on the Hawking radiation that is coming out, at that very minute,

so in principle if you were able to thoroughly study the hawking radiation you could reconstruct all the information in what fell in

SO THERE IS NO INFORMATION PARADOX BECAUSE THE INFORMATION NEVER ACTUALLY FALLS INTO THE HOLE

So all those people like Hawking and Leonard Susskind etc etc were going thru contortions to see how the info could fall into the hole and somehow be preserved (not destroyed) and somehow escape before the hole completely evaporated (because if the hole evaporated before it got out then it really was destroyed). And they were agonizing and inventing bizarre mechanisms. And now Gerald tHooft calmly assures everybody that the info never fell into the hole in the first place!

Anyway that is how it looks to me. And I have no intuition about whether or not he is right. Quite possibly he is not. but his writing is often very interesting and I think perhaps this article is.

BTW Nightcleaner how is your pig 8piG. You may notice Geraldus 't Hooft on page 2 of this paper puts 8piG = 1.
this is the righteous and proper thing to do, so I am giving him thumbs up for that. (see his equation 1.5)

Last edited:
Hi Marcus

8piG is still a piGment of the imagination to this moment, but some progress is being made. My friend has acquired a stock pen which may be destined for 8piG's containment facility. I am trying to find ways to salvage usable restaurant scraps. One incidental has come up, which is that none of the interested parties has any place to store two or three hundred pounds of fresh meat.

I suggested a big 8piG party to cause the beast to be consumed in a properly festive manner, thus eliminating the storage factor, but my ideas are often highly salted. Never the less the notion was not denied, just tabled for future reference. Chickens are the next topic in the neighborhood. I can do chickens.

Anyway I really did mean to ask, in all due respect, most honored librarian, not out of some secret acidity, but in the pure sweetness of innocence, how do you find out what just came out today? Is there some search engine you use that browses all of the archives? How does it know what you are looking for? I suppose you will snicker at my ignorance.

nc

nightcleaner said:
how do you find out what just came out today?

One trick is to troll the arxiv late at night, which is "tomorrow" in Z-time. Then you see "tomorrow's" posts (according to Greenwich) "today" (at your local longitude). Of course since you are located downspin of many of the rest of us, someone else may have got there first. Some of the categories, including gr-qc and hep-th, have a NEW selection buttion. Marcus has got some search algorithms for LQG related stuff, and maybe he found this 't Hooft paper by a keyword of 'Black Hole'?

nightcleaner said:
Is there some search engine you use that browses all of the archives? How does it know what you are looking for?

no reason to snicker
you don't have to wait til late at night actually
I would think 7PM Wisconsin time would do

any evening when you have a free moment after 7PM, check out:

http://arxiv.org/

it is that simple.

I am assuming 7PM your Mid West time is Zero Hours the next day in Green Witch.
If the next day is Saturday or Sunday you won't find anything new
because they don't post on weekends.

If you click on "hep-th new" from the menu you see there, then you get a list of all the new "hep-th" papers. I usually scan that list. And I also scan "gr-qc".

I am repeating much the same message as selfAdjoint.

There is a search engine, which at one time I used quite a bit. It will take keywords. I rarely use it now because it just seems simpler to run my eye down the list of new papers.

If you would like to try the search engine, here is the URL
http://arxiv.org/multi?group=physics&/find=Search

Last edited:
I enjoy scrolling through the arxiv, looking at the abstracts,and wondering
is this really new? may be one day i will find the Marcus conjecture or the
Turbo-1 infall theory.

I once attended a two-part lecture by Gerard 't Hooft, the first part being for the layman concerning the current state of atomic research while the second part being a technical lecture on black hole quantum mechanics (directly related to this very paper). It was a wonderful experience meeting the brilliant Dr. 't Hooft. Thank you for informing us about this paper.

Last edited:
Sempiternity said:
I once attended a two-part lecture by Gerard 't Hooft, the first part being for the layman concerning the current state of atomic research while the second part being a technical lecture on black hole quantum mechanics (directly related to this very paper). It was a wonderful experience meeting the brilliant Dr. 't Hooft. Thank you for informing us about this paper.

Yes! I was there with you on that one . It was a nice little lecture, except that the other person with us found it to be quite boring, mainly because he learns physics from playing star wars games :biggrin:

If any of you ever get the chance to attend one of his lectures, I highly suggest you do so.

1. What is the significance of G. 't Hooft's holographic mapping of the Standard Model onto a black hole horizon?

G. 't Hooft's theory proposes a way to reconcile the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity by mapping the information of a quantum system onto the surface of a black hole. This has potential implications for our understanding of the nature of space, time, and gravity.

2. How does the holographic mapping work?

The holographic mapping involves projecting the information of a three-dimensional quantum system onto the two-dimensional surface of a black hole. This is based on the holographic principle, which states that all the information of a volume can be encoded on its boundary. In this case, the black hole horizon serves as the boundary.

3. What is the Standard Model and why is it important?

The Standard Model is a comprehensive theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions, including the strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, and electromagnetic force. It has been extensively tested and is currently the best framework for understanding the behavior of particles on a subatomic level.

4. What are the potential implications of this theory?

If proven to be true, G. 't Hooft's theory could provide a unified framework for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe, including the nature of gravity. It could also have practical applications in areas such as quantum computing and information storage.

5. Has this theory been experimentally tested?

At this time, G. 't Hooft's theory has not been experimentally tested. However, there are ongoing efforts to test the holographic principle in various experiments, including at the Large Hadron Collider. Further research and experimentation are needed to validate the theory.