Logarithms and their use in the real world

In summary, logarithms are useful in real life for understanding relationships between quantities that change at a certain rate. They can be applied in various fields such as biology and thermodynamics, and can also be a helpful tool for simplifying complex data. A quick search for "logarithms in nature" yields numerous examples of how logarithms are present in the natural world.
Niaboc67
Hello, I have been studying Logarithms in University. I understand it's how many of ONE number to get another number, and I see how it is rearranged to find these "missing" links. But maybe I am overlooking something, but I don't quite see the bigger picture here with how to use Logarithms. How can they be applied to something in real life? If someone could present a problem and then a solution to how logarithms could be used in real life that would be fantastic.

Thank You

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are lots of situations where the rate of something depends on the quantity ... i.e. of form: ##\dot y(t) = ky(t)##

Biological processes like hearing and eyesight are based on logarithmic relations.
There are also thermodynamic processes that bear logarithmic relations.

It can also be a good tool - lots of situations where plotting the the log of some quantity against another gets a line - lines are usually easier to regress to, so it saves work.

If you google for "logarithms in nature" you get a lot of stuff:
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080529/full/news.2008.866.html
http://enjoyingmath.pbworks.com/w/page/31757192/NATURE and LOGARITHM
http://goldenratiomyth.weebly.com/the-logarithmic-spiral.html

1. What are logarithms and how are they used in the real world?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that represent the relationship between an exponential and its base. They are commonly used in the real world to express very large or very small quantities in a more manageable form, and to solve exponential equations.

2. What are some real-world applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are used in a wide range of fields, including science, engineering, finance, and statistics. Some common applications include measuring the intensity of earthquakes, calculating the pH of a solution, and analyzing data in biology and medicine.

3. Can you give an example of how logarithms are used in everyday life?

One example of how logarithms are used in everyday life is in measuring sound intensity. The decibel scale, which is used to measure sound, is based on logarithms. This allows us to express a wide range of sound levels in a more manageable form.

4. How do logarithms help with data analysis?

Logarithms are used in data analysis to transform skewed data into a more normal distribution, which can make it easier to interpret and analyze. They can also help with visualizing data on a logarithmic scale, which can reveal patterns and trends that may not be apparent on a linear scale.

5. Are there any limitations to using logarithms in the real world?

While logarithms are a powerful tool in mathematics and science, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they cannot be used with negative numbers or zero. Additionally, there are certain situations where using logarithms may not accurately reflect the real-world phenomenon being studied.