Some questions about sound(sine) waves.

• Thread starter ZooBooBooZoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses a music student's interest in acoustics and their exploration of the correlation between two pure sound waves. They are seeking to calculate the frequency of pulses in a function involving sine waves and asking about the proper way to define the sine function of a specific frequency. They also receive a helpful formula and explanation for determining when the function will be zeroed.
ZooBooBooZoo
Hi all.

I'm a music student and I've been trying to educate myself about acoustics lately.

I'm exploring the correlations between two pure sound waves.
This might be more of a mathemetical question rather than a physics one but anyways:

I want to know how can I calculate when/how freuqently this function:
f(x)=sin(x)+sin(1.05x)
will be zeroed.

I want to know this so I can now know frequent the pulses occur(by pulses I mean the fluctuating volume of the sound).

Also, what is the proper way to define the sine function of , say, 440Hz?
Sin(440) ?

Thx in advance, hope I'm not too noobish :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the relation Sin(a) + Sin(b) = 2 Cos((a-b)/2) Sin((a+b)/2)

If you have a sound at frequency f = 440Hz, the pressure varies in time (t) like

Sin(2*∏*f* t) = Sin(ω* t)

or

Sin(2*∏*f* t + shift) = Sin(ω* t + shift)

Usually, one defines ω=2*∏*f.

Concerning your signal and the beats, you will get from above:

f(ω t) = Sin(ω t) + Sin(1.05 ω t) = 2 Cos(0.025 ω t) Sin(1.025 ω t)

From this, you can see when the wave f(ω t) goes to zero.
It does that at a high frequency because of the second factor Sin(1.025 ω t).
But the whole high-frequency wave is modulated by the first factor Cos(0.025 ω t) which goes to zero at a lower frequency.

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of mechanical wave that is created by vibrations in a medium, such as air or water. These vibrations cause particles in the medium to move back and forth, creating a series of compressions and rarefactions, which our ears interpret as sound.

2. How is the pitch of a sound wave determined?

The pitch of a sound wave is determined by its frequency, which is the number of cycles or vibrations per second. Higher frequency waves have a higher pitch, while lower frequency waves have a lower pitch. For example, a high-pitched sound such as a whistle has a higher frequency than a low-pitched sound like a bass drum.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a sound wave?

The wavelength of a sound wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency of a sound wave increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of sound / frequency.

4. How does the amplitude of a sound wave affect its loudness?

The amplitude of a sound wave is directly proportional to its loudness. This means that the higher the amplitude, the louder the sound will be. Amplitude is a measure of the maximum displacement of particles in a medium caused by a sound wave. So, a larger amplitude means that the particles are being displaced more, creating a louder sound.

5. What is the speed of sound and what factors can affect it?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound travels through a medium. In dry air at room temperature, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second. However, this speed can vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and the density of the medium. For example, sound travels faster in warm air than in cold air, and faster in water than in air.