What are the Three Main Types of Connections in Thermodynamics?

In summary, thermodynamic variables can be treated differently depending on the type of connection present. For temperature, it is possible for two systems in contact to have different values of this variable and still be able to equilibrate. However, for variables like pressure, this may not make sense as the boundary conditions may not allow for equilibration. The property of temperature that allows for this is its ability to flow across thermal and material barriers. Finally, when discussing chemical potential, it is treated similarly to temperature, where two systems in contact with different chemical potentials can still equilibrate.
aaaa202
It seems to me that for some thermodynamic variables it makes sense to talk of systems in contact with different values of these variables. An example is temperature. We can the problem of two systems in contact with different temperatures.
However, I am not sure if this is the case for all thermodynamic variables. Consider for instance the pressure. How would you treat a system of two gasses in contact with different pressures - for me it doesn't make sense.
What property of the temperature (which is not a property of pressure) makes us able to treat it as described above?
The question came to be because chemical potential was treated as temperature where you had two systems in contact with different chemical potentials. Is this allowed?

Science news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
It seems to me that for some thermodynamic variables it makes sense to talk of systems in contact with different values of these variables. An example is temperature. We can the problem of two systems in contact with different temperatures.
However, I am not sure if this is the case for all thermodynamic variables. Consider for instance the pressure. How would you treat a system of two gasses in contact with different pressures - for me it doesn't make sense.
What property of the temperature (which is not a property of pressure) makes us able to treat it as described above?
The question came to be because chemical potential was treated as temperature where you had two systems in contact with different chemical potentials. Is this allowed?

See my Blog in my PF personal area.

Chet

There are three main types of "connections" - thermal, mechanical, and material. A thermal connection allows entropy to flow, mechanical allows "volume to flow", and material allows mass to flow across the boundary. Thermal, mechanical, and material isolation prevent the flows. In other words, a thermal barrier prevents two bodies from exchanging entropy (heat cannot flow across the boundary due to a temperature difference), a mechanical barrier prevents them from exchanging volume (the barrier doesn't move when subjected to a pressure difference), and a material barrier prevents them from exchanging mass (particles are prevented from crossing the boundary when subjected to a chemical potential difference). When you talk about temperature differences equilibrating, you are assuming mechanical and material isolation. When you talk about a pressure difference, the boundary is a thermal barrier, and a material barrier, so what happens is the boundary moves, like a piston in a cylinder with different pressures on each side. If you want two or three of the boundary conditions to be conducting (i.e., not a barrier), then things can get more complicated.

What are thermodynamic variables?

Thermodynamic variables are quantities that describe the state of a system, such as temperature, pressure, volume, and energy.

What is the difference between an extensive and intensive thermodynamic variable?

An extensive thermodynamic variable is dependent on the size or amount of the system, while an intensive thermodynamic variable is independent of the size or amount and only describes the state of the system.

How are thermodynamic variables related to each other?

Thermodynamic variables are related to each other through various equations, such as the ideal gas law, the first law of thermodynamics, and the second law of thermodynamics.

What is the significance of thermodynamic variables in studying systems?

Thermodynamic variables are important in studying systems because they allow us to understand and predict how a system will behave under different conditions, and how energy and matter flow within the system.

What are the units of measurement for thermodynamic variables?

The units of measurement for thermodynamic variables depend on the specific variable, but commonly used units include Kelvin (K) for temperature, pascal (Pa) for pressure, cubic meters (m^3) for volume, and joules (J) for energy.