Help with free- body diagram with pulley

In summary, a 30 N force is applied horizontally to a 5 kg block connected to block X via a rope over a pulley. The system is at rest and the coefficients of static and kinetic friction are both 0.3. The mass of block X is 5.6 kg. The direction of the friction force acting on the 5 kg block is upwards.
sirfederation
A 5 kg block and block X are attached to a rope which passes over a pulley. A 30 N force is applied horizontally to the 5 kg block, keeping it in contact with a rough vertical space. The coefficients of static is .3 and the coefficinents kinetic is .3. The pulley is light and frictionless.

The mass of block x is set at 5.6 kg. The system is at rest. Determine the direction of the friction force acting on the 5 kg block.

I will put my diagram on a reply

Attachments

• cc.gif
    cc.gif
    2 KB · Views: 642
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my diagram: Please tell me if I left out any contact force and friction. Thx

I made a mistake with the friction by putting it on the left; it should be upwards.

Attachments

• fff.gif
    fff.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:

1. What is a free-body diagram?

A free-body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the forces acting on the object as arrows pointing in the direction of the force, with the length of the arrow representing the strength of the force.

2. How do I draw a free-body diagram with a pulley?

To draw a free-body diagram with a pulley, start by identifying all the objects that are involved in the system, including the pulley itself. Then, for each object, draw arrows to represent the forces acting on it. For the pulley, draw arrows to represent the tension in the rope on either side of the pulley.

3. What are the common forces involved in a free-body diagram with a pulley?

The common forces involved in a free-body diagram with a pulley are tension, weight, and normal force. Tension is the force exerted by the rope on the object, weight is the force of gravity acting on the object, and normal force is the force exerted by a surface on the object.

4. How do I determine the direction of the forces in a free-body diagram with a pulley?

The direction of the forces in a free-body diagram with a pulley can be determined by considering the motion of the object and the direction in which the force is acting. For example, if the object is moving upwards, the tension in the rope will be pulling upwards, and the weight will be pulling downwards.

5. Why are free-body diagrams with pulleys important?

Free-body diagrams with pulleys are important because they allow us to analyze the forces acting on objects in a system and understand the motion of the objects. By accurately drawing and interpreting free-body diagrams, we can determine the net force and acceleration of the system, and make predictions about the motion of the objects.