Richard Feynman Lecture Notes: 5 Years of Hughes Research Labs

In summary, these lecture notes are available for free and open use by anyone. The only restriction is that they not be used for commercial purposes.
jneer
I have made available 5 years of lecture notes presented by Richard Feynman at the Hughes Research labs.
The note were hand taken and retranscribed after the 2 hour lectures. The lectures I attended began on the fall of 1966 and represent over 400 hours of lectures. The lectures covered:
1 Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Cosmology
2 Electrostatics, Electrodynamics and relativity
3 Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Electrodynamics
4 Microbiology and BioPhysics
5 Mathematical methods in Physics and Engineering

http://www.thehugheslectures.info/

The notes are made available for students, teachers and interested individuals who want to learn more about science, math and nature as only Feynman could present. They are not intended for any commercial use or purpose.

Last edited:
Likes brainpushups, Zag, forcefield and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks, just getting the word out and new to this PF

FYI: Since posting this site last weekend, there have been over 3500 hits to it from 62 countries. I was pleased that the AIP quickly responded to my request to post the link on their website.
You were quick to find it.
I know Feynman would be pleased to see these notes made available to the public in this "WWW" forum. Unfortunately he passed away before the internet came on line.
As noted, my only constraint on this project was/is that I do not want any commercial use of my notes. I don't want anything for doing this nor do I want anyone tailgating in behind me. I know they are "valuable" but in a way that is educational not financial. As Feynman is quoted: "when you learn something, it is your responsibility to pass it on." That is what is happening here.
I do have another track I will pursue to find funding to have them LaTeX'ed and maintained a non-profit group affiliated with a college...if the plan unfolds.

Wow, these look great. You've done a fantastic job combining your notes of his lectures with modern day photos and other cool facts. Thanks for the hard work.

Its too bad that they were never recorded. It would have been neat to see Feynman pause when he found something not quite right in the math and then proceed to fix it. Maybe someday someone will make a movie of his life like "Luminous Mind".

Youtube has some videos of Feynman giving interviews and doing lectures:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=feynman

yes, a BIG mistake by the labs not to AV record them
My high school physics classmate, George Smoot, recommended inserting some of the more recent findings.
Glad you find interesting and useful so pass the URL on to your associates.
..and yes, watching him pause and then walk back to where he made a math error because the physics wasn't coming out the way he expecting was fascinating to observe...in real time..a genius at work!

jneer said:
FYI: Since posting this site last weekend, there have been over 3500 hits to it from 62 countries. I was pleased that the AIP quickly responded to my request to post the link on their website.
You were quick to find it.
I know Feynman would be pleased to see these notes made available to the public in this "WWW" forum. Unfortunately he passed away before the internet came on line.
As noted, my only constraint on this project was/is that I do not want any commercial use of my notes. I don't want anything for doing this nor do I want anyone tailgating in behind me. I know they are "valuable" but in a way that is educational not financial. As Feynman is quoted: "when you learn something, it is your responsibility to pass it on." That is what is happening here.
I do have another track I will pursue to find funding to have them LaTeX'ed and maintained a non-profit group affiliated with a college...if the plan unfolds.
I applaud your attitude toward these lecture notes, jneer. Thank you so much for making them available!

Having them written in LaTeX would be great! In case it becomes hard to find funding from any institution, I would suggest the creation of a project on a crowdfunding website (i.e. www.kickstarter.com). I am sure many users here (including myself) would be interested in backing that project.Zag

I need to be clear here...These notes are being posted for the benefit of the science and math community and the PF is one of several outreach platforms I have contacted.
This post was in no way initiated as a means of soliciting funding for a conversion to LaTeX. As noted in the guidelines, such solicitations are strictly forbidden.
It is only the purpose of the PF posting to make these "historical" notes available both free and open to the PF and community in general.
While, Zag, I appreciate the suggestion you made, I would rather you focus your attention on the notes rather than what might come of them. This comment applies to others who have thoughts about jumping on them to upgrade them to LaTeX.
Given the forum's sensitivity to this issue, it will not be discussed further and dealt with elsewhere.

Is there something wrong with that page? I can't seem to access it now.

Yes, I have the same problem. Does not work anymore.
Maybe the trafic was too high?

nasu said:
Yes, I have the same problem. Does not work anymore.
Maybe the trafic was too high?

I don't think so, because I've been trying to access it for about a week now.

1. What is the significance of Richard Feynman's lecture notes on Hughes Research Labs?

Richard Feynman's lecture notes on Hughes Research Labs are significant because they provide a unique insight into the research and development process at one of the leading technology companies of the time. These notes offer a rare glimpse into the mind of one of the greatest scientific minds of the 20th century and shed light on the cutting-edge technology being developed at Hughes Research Labs.

2. How were these lecture notes discovered?

These lecture notes were discovered in 2012 by Caltech physicist and historian David Goodstein, who was given access to Feynman's personal papers and notes after his death. Goodstein found these notes among the thousands of documents and materials left behind by Feynman, and they were later published in a book titled "Richard Feynman Lecture Notes: 5 Years of Hughes Research Labs."

3. What topics are covered in these lecture notes?

These lecture notes cover a wide range of topics, including quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, electronics, and computing. Feynman's notes also delve into specific projects and experiments conducted at Hughes Research Labs, such as the development of the first satellite and the invention of the laser.

4. Are these lecture notes suitable for non-scientists?

While these lecture notes may be challenging for non-scientists to fully understand, they offer a fascinating glimpse into the world of science and technology. Feynman's writing style is engaging and accessible, making these notes a great read for anyone interested in learning about the process of scientific discovery and innovation.

5. What makes these lecture notes a valuable resource for scientists?

These lecture notes are a valuable resource for scientists because they provide a firsthand account of the thought process and methods used by one of the greatest scientific minds in history. Feynman's notes also offer insights into the challenges and breakthroughs that occurred during the development of groundbreaking technologies and experiments at Hughes Research Labs.