What is the pH Level of Urea & Sweat?

• Thread starter xLaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, Urea is a basic molecule that reacts with water to form ammonium ions and carbonate ions. It is slightly alkaline and has a pH of about 9.5.
xLaser
Urea? pH level of it?

Does anyone know the pH level of Urea or Sweat? I can't seem to find this info anywhere, although I think both is basic since they contain ammonia.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't ammonia NH3 ?? And hence would more likely be acidic (as basic requires OH- ions). Also, it would only be acidic if H+ ions dissociated from the ammonia, which can happen. I'm not sure what else is in sweat... but that's my two cents...
Don't forget that pH is also a measure of concentration, so you would need to know what the concentration of urea in your samples is.

OK... just found a website that is probably going to get you as far as you can

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

it should be some help.

Last edited:
Urea reacts with water to form ammonium ions and carbonate ions.
Indeed alkaline.

pH of ammonia is near about 9.5.

Its basicity is due to the generation of NH4+ ion in the Aquas soln...

Not only this is not physics, but none of the answers given so far is correct...

No such thing as pH of urea. If anything, there is pH of urea solution - and it depends on the urea concentration. Same holds for every acid/base, weak and strong.

I feel like the OP asks about pH of URINE and sweat. These are variable and depend on the diet and health condition.

Now, ammonia is NH3 - that's correct. Its solutions are basic, bacause it reacts with water generating OH-:

NH3 + H2O <-> NH4+ + OH-

Equilibrium constant for this reaction is about 1.8*10-5 - so ammonia is a weak base. Brønsted-Lowry's base to be precise. See pH calculation lectures for more details.

I don't have exact data for urea at hand, but its solutions are slightly alkaline as well - for the same reason, urea is a Brønsted-Lowry's base and reacts with water.

However, reaction of urea with water mentioned by primarygun:

primarygun said:
Urea reacts with water to form ammonium ions and carbonate ions.

is different. That's hydrolyzis that decomposes urea, so the solution is no longer solution of urea.

Last edited by a moderator:

A 10% solution of urea yields a pH of about 7.2 (Merck Index, 11th Ed., p. 9789). It develops an odor of NH3 (which is actually NH3, BTW) as a solid. Upon heating it forms biuret and ammonia. Further heating yields cyanuric acid.

2 NH2CONH2 -------> NH2CONHCONH2 (biuret) + NH3

According to Merck the above reaction won't occur unless urea is heated to above its melting point, but if you look carefully at reagent grade material, you will notice that it is a prill. A prill is formed by melting something and dropping it from a height sufficient for it to cool to a solid before it lands on the ground. Thus all reagent grade urea tests positive for biuret.

Please don't necropost! This thread is over 4 years old!

1. What is the pH level of urea?

The pH level of urea is approximately 5.5, making it slightly acidic.

2. What is the pH level of sweat?

The pH level of sweat can vary, but it is typically between 4.5 and 7.0, making it slightly acidic to neutral.

3. Why is the pH level of sweat important?

The pH level of sweat is important because it helps to maintain the balance of acid and alkaline in the body. It also plays a role in protecting the skin from bacteria and other harmful substances.

4. How does the pH level of sweat affect body odor?

The pH level of sweat can affect body odor because it creates an environment that is more or less favorable for the growth of odor-causing bacteria. Sweat with a higher pH level tends to have a stronger odor.

5. Can the pH level of sweat change?

Yes, the pH level of sweat can change depending on factors such as diet, exercise, and stress levels. It can also be affected by certain medical conditions and medications.