Explosive Physics Experiments: Dry Ice and Water Balloon

In summary, when solid carbon dioxide (dry ice) is added to water, it changes rapidly from a solid to a gas, creating a buildup of pressure inside the container and causing an explosion. This experiment should only be done by trained professionals in a controlled environment, as dry ice is extremely cold and can cause frostbite. It is important to use a strong and durable container to contain the explosion and to take safety precautions such as wearing protective gear and handling the dry ice with caution. There are variations of this experiment, but it is crucial to always follow safety guidelines and conduct it in a controlled environment.
darkar
Not long ago I read an article here in PF about explosion of dry ice in a bottle and I just accidentally found one of the video...

If you are interested, u might want to check it out:
http://www.spikedhumor.com/Article.aspx?id=360 [Broken]

Another physics experiment performed on water balloon:
http://www.spikedhumor.com/Article.aspx?id=681 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are pretty cool.

i liked that

1. How does dry ice and water create an explosion?

When dry ice, which is solid carbon dioxide, is added to water, it undergoes a process called sublimation where it changes directly from a solid to a gas. This rapid change in state creates a buildup of pressure inside the water balloon, causing it to explode.

2. Is this experiment safe to do at home?

No, this experiment should only be conducted by trained professionals in a controlled environment. Dry ice is extremely cold and can cause frostbite if handled improperly. The explosion from the water balloon can also be dangerous if not done correctly.

3. Can I use any type of container for this experiment?

No, it is important to use a strong and durable container, such as a thick plastic or glass bottle, to contain the explosion. Using a weak or flimsy container can result in it breaking and causing injury.

4. What safety precautions should I take when conducting this experiment?

Aside from wearing protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, it is important to handle dry ice with caution and to never touch it with bare hands. It is also recommended to conduct the experiment outside or in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling the carbon dioxide gas.

5. Are there any variations of this experiment?

Yes, there are many variations of this experiment such as adding food coloring to the water, using different shapes and sizes of containers, or adding other objects such as soap bubbles. However, it is important to always follow safety precautions and to only conduct the experiment in a controlled environment.